June 23, 2010

To Live is Christ — no finger-pointing

Another day with this verse and again I’m convicted of my impatience. This time I read it in a contemporary version, and the last phrase kicks me.
God isn’t late with his promise as some measure lateness. He is restraining himself on account of you, holding back the End because he doesn’t want anyone lost. He’s giving everyone space and time to change. (2 Peter 3:9, The Message)
First, I’m convicted that I do not give others space and time to change like God does. He isn’t in a rush. He also knows the human heart and what needs to happen in everyone’s life. He is perfectly capable of working life’s circumstances so that each person gets to that place where they not only hear His voice but are also responsive. I need to pray with that confidence, not with a sense of “time is running out, so hurry up, God.”

I also need to be careful that my concern for the spiritual state of others does not become finger-pointing. It is easy to look at everyone else and criticize their slowness to listen to God. What about me? Am I slow also? Whatever version I read, the Scriptures say “everyone” and that includes me. This version says that Jesus Christ “restrains Himself” because of me.

Jesus will return and while it seems like it will never happen, maybe it is my slowness to listen and change that gives Him reason to wait. At the end of yesterday’s quiet time with God, I thought about my failures in this area. I even prayed with my lack of patience in mind, but it didn’t sink in. Instead of changing what I can change, I was soon thinking about everyone else and not my own failures.

Lord, my forgetfulness and lack of wholehearted response to You perfectly illustrates how much I need Your patience. I look around me at millions who don’t even know You and are not ready for the coming judgment and pray for them.  Nevertheless, I also need to look in the mirror. I am Your child, but I am not ready for the Second Coming either.

No comments: