June 30, 2010

To Live is Christ — more God-oriented than goal-oriented

Sometimes I’m so intent on reaching goals that I forget to be grateful for partial progress. I also want to see the end result of God at work, and too easily fail to appreciate His steps to get to that end.

The Bible offers many examples that show me what I should be doing. For instance, after God revealed to Daniel the meaning of the king’s dream, Daniel could have hastily gone to the king with the interpretation. After all, his life was in danger. The king was going to kill all his “wise men” because no one could tell him the dream and its meaning. However, Daniel was not as goal-oriented as I am. Instead of rushing off to rescue himself and others, he first stopped and blessed God, offering thanks for what He had done thus far. 

Blessed be the name of God forever and ever, for wisdom and might are His. And He changes the times and the seasons; He removes kings and raises up kings; He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding. He reveals deep and secret things; He knows what is in the darkness, and light dwells with Him. I thank You and praise You, O God of my fathers; You have given me wisdom and might, and have now made known to me what we asked of You, for You have made known to us the king’s demand. (Daniel 2:20–23)
In praising God, Daniel acknowledges the source of wisdom and power. He refers to what God does in wisdom; how He orchestrates global events in the natural and the political realms. Daniel acknowledges that God shares His wisdom with those who fear Him and are receptive to Him. He praises God for knowing all things and for giving him what he needs to know.

I’m often in a hurry to get to the end, to see the finished project, to see people walking with Jesus, to see God accomplish whatever I envision as the “done deal.” Today an Old Testament believer, Daniel, rebukes me with his deliberate pause. His was a life and death situation, yet he stopped before going to the king and instead went to the King.

Yes, Daniel, I need to be more like you.

No comments: