June 17, 2010

To Live is Christ — in the world, carefully

Last night I attended an annual windup banquet put on by the quilter’s guild in our city. There are more than three hundred members, a mixture of ages and skill levels, all interested in making quilts. They are friendly and enjoy being together.

The verse that I’m studying this week is about being involved in things done by unbelievers, things that can draw me into sin. I need to carefully consider if this verse has anything to do with my membership and involvement in that guild.

“So leave the corruption and compromise; leave it for good,” says God. “Don’t link up with those who will pollute you. I want you all for myself.” (2 Corinthians 6:17, The Message)
I’ve read it in its context and in several versions. God warns me about getting involved in ungodly things (which can be anything that is not done in faith) or partnering with those who do not know God. This guild has a mixture of Christians and those who are not. That mix could confuse my interpretation of what God is saying, but I don’t think this is the point.

The issue is not who they are, but who I am, and who I am has changed. Years ago, I created and sold paintings. This became almost an obsession. I was competitive and proud of what I was doing. I even used the money to support missionaries. However, the Lord spoke to me about my sinful attitudes involved in this activity. He directed me to stop painting. That was difficult. It was also hard to explain to colleagues that had no idea about God and His ways. I stopped, and in grace, God began to show me that the problem was not in being an artist, but in doing it without His motivation and direction.

Creativity found other outlets, eventually making quilts, not as a craft in the traditional sense, but as artistic expression. Along the way, my desire has been to please the Lord. I keep asking if this is what He wants me to do? Do I have the right motives? Am I getting obsessed? Has He a plan that I cannot see?

Yesterday I told my husband that God had blessed me in quilting. I feel no competitive spirit with this art form. I love seeing others excel and am not jealous, nor do I feel compelled to “be the best” or to win shows or sell the most or anything like that. While there is always danger in being drawn into sin no matter what a person does, I don’t feel any “me first” or other selfishness with this. Maybe that is why it is such a place of “still waters” (Psalm 23:2) for me.

All that said, being with other people who quilt could also pull me into that old competitive, selfish state. I’m aware of the danger so last night asked the Lord to keep me alert and in His will. He did that and more; He showed me that I can be “in the world but not of the world” in this creative pursuit.

In other words, the warning is not to stay away from these people who may or may not have godly hearts, but to stay away from any polluted attitudes in my own heart. It is not the activity that is a danger, but my sinfulness. As my Savior, He is most concerned about my heart.

Perhaps God will use me as salt and light in that place and with those people. He may not, but either way, His presence and His Spirit make me aware that because Christ lives in me I do not have to join in with others who have ungodly attitudes. Instead, He can use our common interest as a way for me to spend time with people who need Him.

No comments: