June 15, 2010

To Live is Christ — here, but not here

Some religious groups separate themselves from the world by their clothing and lifestyle, refusing to use telephones and automobiles. Some Christian denominations separate themselves by the way they do their hair, or the activities they reject. What does God say about these things?
Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever? And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said: “I will dwell in them and walk among them. I will be their God, and they shall be My people.” Therefore “Come out from among them and be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, and I will receive you.” “I will be a Father to you, and you shall be My sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.” (2 Corinthians 6:14–18)
A yoke implies pulling the same plow, being hitched to the same harness. The other words used here tell me that I must be careful to unite myself only to projects initiated by the Holy Spirit.

This does not exclude working and being with unbelievers. God often sends His people into situations where we can be witnesses. He may want someone to see a child of God “in action” and living a holy life. It is clear to me that I can do many things, but my reasons for doing them cannot be the same reasons that drive those without Christ. To have their motivations would yoke or unite me to them, and God says no to that kind of harmony.

Biblical separation is not a matter of being “different” in externals only. It is first a matter of the heart. When my heart is cognizant of who I am in Christ, I will behave unlike those who have no relationship with Him. That behavior will make me different from them, yet those differences must originate in the heart.

This is not about shunning everything that the world does. That would mean moving to planet X, because there is no escaping some sort of crossover. Some examples: The world uses computers. Do these verses mean that I toss my PC in the garbage? The neighbors cut their grass and dig their weeds. Does the Bible mean that I should stop doing the same things? They eat and drink . . . of course I can do some things they do.

Primarily, both of Paul’s letters to the Corinthians address the issue of idols, something that threatened those believers. This passage is more about idols than computers and cutting grass. It is about being holy and devoted to God in a world that has largely set Him aside in favor of other pursuits. It is about avoiding idolatry and embracing holiness.

It also is about finding out what idolatry and holiness mean. I can enjoy a television show without worshiping the TV set. I can use my cell phone without worshiping technology. I can also laugh with an unsaved friend and be holy. Holiness does not fly out the window if I play games with my grandchildren or go shopping with an unbelieving neighbor. Holiness is much deeper than that.

The Corinthian Christians were challenged because they lived in an ungodly, idolatrous city. My world is no different. God wants me to be “in” this world, but not “of” this world. The only way to accomplish that is by remembering which family I belong to, who my Father is, and that He lives in my heart.

No comments: