May 12, 2010

To Live is Christ — prayerfully dependent

These frustrating words, “I didn’t mean to do it,” often get me riled. Nevertheless, my Christian experience knows the contradiction between what I know I should say and do and what pops out instead. I want to live for Christ, but my sinful nature also wants to rule.
Only let your conduct be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of your affairs, that you stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel, and not in any way terrified by your adversaries, which is to them a proof of perdition, but to you of salvation, and that from God. (Philippians 1:27–28)
These are important words. The reason I want to live for Christ is not just that I please and honor Him, but that my life is a witness to others who do not believe the Gospel and even oppose it.

Today’s reading offers tidbits of suggestions on having worthy conduct. It says things like: honor God in the way you live; live the gospel; be the Bible; love as Christ would love; have the compassion of Christ; secret Christianity brings no one to Christ; be a constant advertisement for God’s love; let your actions toward others be hugs from God; and say only things God would say. I know those things. It is the doing of them that becomes a problem. I relate to Paul’s words:

For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. (Romans 7:18–20)
This spiritual battle is overcome only by the grace of God. He gives strength in weakness and power to live for Him. Because of His Spirit, I can resist temptation and be steadfast and unafraid.

Prayer helps. I sense the difference when people are praying for me. This is called spiritual warfare. Paul wrote about such spiritual battles and made it clear that our enemies are not flesh and blood (those who oppose the gospel) but evil spirits in heavenly realms. He wrote about the spiritual armor that God gives His people and said that the battle is prayer. We fight by, 

Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints. . . .
Then he adds his prayer request. This is also my prayer request, particularly in the next few days as I will be with those who need Jesus.
. . . and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak. (Ephesians 6:18–20)
I want to speak the truth for “faith comes by hearing,” but I also want to demonstrate conduct that is worthy. For both, I need to be filled with the Spirit of God and overflowing with the love of Christ and the grace of God. I ask for prayer to this end.

No comments: