May 5, 2010

To Live is Christ — changed by how I eat

At least one behavioral food expert believes that the way we eat and our instinctive food habits reveal our character traits and our true nature.

For instance, slow eaters supposedly value routine and are stubborn. They savor their food like they savor every experience. These people put themselves first, and their own needs before the needs of others. In contrast, fast eaters reveal a lack of balance. They put other things before themselves, are productive and do well at finishing projects.

Another food habit is mixing it on the plate. People who do this supposedly also can deal with many responsibilities efficiently, but could struggle with priorities and concentrating on a particular task. On the other hand, those who eat one food at a time are task-oriented, methodical, and less flexible.

All this is news to me. However, I have heard about a connection between eating habits and job skills. Those who do the hiring should take a prospect for lunch and observe how they eat. For instance, cutting meat all at once reveals that a person is methodical, strategic, and forward thinking. This person will fit in a job that requires logical thinking and precision, such as engineering, accounting, or computer technology. (This actually fits my husband.) This researcher says that people who are excited about trying out different types of food do well in creative positions because they're willing to explore new things and are apt to come up with fresh ideas.

In a different vein, those who ask questions about the menu reveal that they have an open-mind. Those who season their foods without first tasting them or don't bother looking at the menu before ordering are stubborn and do not like change.

I wonder what this food expert would say to these words spoken by Jesus. How would she characterize those who feast as He describes? 

I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world. (John 6:51)
Jesus says one thing is certain — those who partake in Him will live forever. This is true because His life becomes their life. I am alive forever because the eternal life of Jesus Christ is in me. Because of that, my destiny is changed.  But what about my personality?

The Bible says a great deal about the new life I have in Christ and this new life is all about change, right from the get-go. That means that “feasting on Jesus” does something to who I am. The Bible is clear about this too.

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. (2 Corinthians 5:17)
From that beginning, I’m told to put off the old, put on the new. In other words, I’ve been made new and now I need to spend the rest of my life learning how to act like the new person He has created.

God helps me with that. Romans 8:28-29 says, “And we know that God works all things together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son. . . .” 


The issue is, I cannot possibly know what being like Jesus looks like unless I keep my focus on Him, the One into whose image is my destiny. Hebrews 12:2-3 says I am to fix my eyes on Him. 2 Corinthians 3:18 tells me that the more I gaze at His glory, the more I am transformed into His image.

The food/personality expert says that my nature is revealed by the way I eat. Jesus says the opposite, that when He is on the menu, even just by looking at Him, my nature is transformed into something new. How cool is that!

No comments: