April 22, 2010

To Live is Christ — taking the needs of others to God

Yesterday was filled with sad news. A friend called to say her father had died. Another called telling me her son was in a car accident and it was miraculous that he was still alive. Our church prayer chain sent a request for a member who had a stroke and is in serious condition. A relative who is getting a second chance at life after serious illness now links himself to an extreme false teaching. My husband has a lifelong friend who is in the hospital in great pain with tumors on his spine and given little time to live.

When I picked up my “gratitude journal” last night, I could not think of too many positive circumstances that I wanted to write in it, yet I’m grateful that God is sovereign and hears prayer. I’ve been praying much in the past twenty-four hours.

Today’s devotional reading continues to be what has been called the Golden Rule. I’m looking at it as to how I should pray for these folks who are in particular need of God’s grace.

Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets. (Matthew 7:12)
If I were grieving a loss of my father, I’d want folks to remind me that he has gone to a better place. However, my neighbor is without faith, and as far as I know, her father was the same. How then do I pray? I cannot imagine myself now without faith, but I can imagine my feelings should someone I love die in that state. I would want others to pray that God would comfort me, and that I would be drawn closer to Him because of this, not driven away. I can pray like that for my friend.

If my son were in an accident, I’d want someone to pray for his complete recovery, and that he would lean on God and learn to trust Him. I’d also like some prayer for myself, for encouragement and wisdom so I could be the mom I’d need to be. I can pray that way for this distraught mother who is caring for her son.

If I had a stroke, and if I were the age of this woman who had one, I’d maybe want people to ask God to heal me, but I might also want God to quickly take me home. Lingering after a stroke might bring out the best in my care-givers, yet I would hate to be a burden to my family. I don’t know this woman’s wishes, but I can pray that God will do what is best for her, and that her family can trust Him, no matter what happens next.

If I were the relative who has been deceived, I’d probably want Christians to leave me alone, but this is contrary to what God commands. I’d have to pray that God removes the darkness and puts the Deceiver, Satan, out of the picture. He might resist it, but I would also pray that the Holy Spirit opens this man’s eyes to the truth of his need for God. I’d also ask God to show him that he has been given a second chance for more than this life, and that he can have eternal life through faith in Jesus Christ.

If I were the man with the tumors, I would want the obvious — a miracle. This man is not a Christian and has never had any interest in being one. To apply the “Golden Rule” means I’d have to never talk to him about Jesus, which is what he wants, but the opposite of what God wants me to do. I have to pray that God would soften his heart so that he has opportunity to know his sins are forgiven and that he can have eternal life through faith in Christ.

As I think about these things, I realize that sometimes the Golden Rule does not fit. If the others in my life are unbelievers, they don’t want me to treat them as I want them to treat me. In fact, they cannot possibly treat me the way I want to be treated. I want prayer and spiritual encouragement. I want to hear the truth and be loved without conditions attached. I want things said and done that build my faith in Jesus Christ.

Those who do not believe respond to this Golden Rule in a different way than Christians. They don’t want others to pray for them or give them spiritual truth. They do not have it in them to do to others anything other than these negative responses. I cannot put myself in their shoes without compromising biblical commands. Usually, God tells me to do the opposite for them that they might want from me, because He know what is best for all of us, even when we have other wishes.

These are sad situations. I am thankful that God knows what to do about them and is fully able to do His will concerning those I care about. The best I can do is pray — remembering His perspective on each situation and trying to combine that with the emotions and struggles going on in their hearts. 

Hear my prayer, O Lord, Give ear to my supplications! In Your faithfulness answer me, and in Your righteousness. (Psalm 143:1)

No comments: