March 2, 2010

To Live is Christ — obedience, no matter the results

The pastor of a church poked fun at a self-righteous attitude that thinks, “We don’t smoke; we don’t chew; and we don’t run with the girls that do.”

While that makes me chuckle, that line often pushes me to examine my motives, and to make sure that I’m not wanting people to be impressed only for the things that I don’t do. Besides, I’ve no business claiming any credit for what I do or don’t do. It is the grace of God that teaches me how to live. 

For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age. (Titus 2:11–12)
Apart from Christ, I’ve no power to say no to sin. Apart from Christ, I have no power to live as God wants me to live.

However, this passage and all of the New Testament stress the importance of both avoiding evil and doing good. Today’s devotional reading offers this striking statement: Abstinence without God-given love and service creates empty victories.

I can avoid watching sinful stuff on television, stay home from movies, stay away from bars, refuse to smoke or drink, never say bad words, and avoid anything that anyone might call sin, but what does that do regarding my Christian life and my witness to others?

The Pharisees did their best to avoid sinful actions and wound up being self-righteous and blind to the condition of their hearts. The mystics and religious recluses do their best to avoid sinful attitudes and wind up being useless and even unable to deal with their deepest lusts.

People misinterpret these choices too. I’ve had at least one person assume that my abstinence is some sort of self-righteous God-pleasing effort. I want to obey God, have better health and more time for other pursuits, and enjoy a clear conscience, but this person does not see it that way.

Most of the time I don’t give much thought to what other people think about my self-denial, good choices, and godly behavior. God asks me to live for Him, to please Him. In doing so, He will bless me. He might even bless others through me, or give them a glimpse of Himself in my life, but that is not my doing. I’m responsible for obeying, by grace, and trusting Him with the results. Yet at times I’ve been hurt by those who misunderstand my attitudes and actions.

It is a comfort to realize that Jesus did what God asked and was totally misinterpreted by even the most religious people. They hated Him and crucified Him. Yet the Bible says Jesus “committed no sin, nor was deceit found in His mouth” but “when He was reviled, did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously” (1 Peter 2:18–23). To live is Christ means doing what God asks and trusting Him with the results.

Peter later writes more on how I need to respond to being misunderstood as a believer in Jesus Christ. 

But even if you should suffer for righteousness’ sake, you are blessed. And do not be afraid of their threats, nor be troubled. But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear; having a good conscience, that when they defame you as evildoers, those who revile your good conduct in Christ may be ashamed. For it is better, if it is the will of God, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. (1 Peter 3:14–17)
I cannot live so as to impress others with what I do or do not do. I must listen to God and obey Him. Grace teaches both self-denial and action. Those who do not know God may respect my choices, but they could also misinterpret and even threaten me. One way or the other, I need to remain steadfastly committed to Him.

No comments: