March 16, 2010

To Live is Christ — it has fringe benefits

At times I’ve wondered about praising God. Does He need it? In my worst thinking, I’ve questioned if God has an ego like a man, an ego that demands the strokes of praise. I knew that was not how I should think, but I didn’t understand why it was incorrect. Then somewhere along the line I read verses like these:
And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all His ways and to love Him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to keep the commandments of the Lord and His statutes which I command you today for your good? (Deuteronomy 10:12–13, italics are mine)
I can easily see that God’s commandments are for my good. When I do what He says, I am blessed and at peace. He created me and He wrote the “Owner’s Manual” that instructs me in the way to live. While what I do must glorify Him, obedience is for my good also. In His great love and compassion, He knows what is best for me.

Praise is actually one of the commandments. While verbal worship is certainly for the ears of God, yesterday’s post and events of the day remind me that praise is also for my good. If I do not praise God, I begin to forget who He is and how wonderful He is. I start looking at the negatives and begin questioning God. While overcoming doubts and fears is part of walking with Him, if those attitudes stick around too long, I begin to walk off in another direction. I need to praise God.

Again, this is not to build Him up for He is already complete and has no need of anything. Praise is to help me. When I feel weak, praise reminds me that God is all powerful. He will help me. When I am fearful, praise reminds me Who is on my side. God stands ready to give me courage in the face of fear, and God can even turn away whatever it is that causes me to be afraid. No matter how much I struggle, God can come to my aid. Praise reminds me that He is able.

Every now and then I sink into a rut void of praise. When that happens, my confidence in God becomes vulnerable. It isn’t that God has changed, but I have lost my focus on His greatness and His power. For that reason, I am thankful for this week’s devotional verses:

Praise the Lord, all you Gentiles! Laud Him, all you peoples! For His merciful kindness is great toward us, and the truth of the Lord endures forever. Praise the Lord! (Psalm 117:1–2)
These are commands that I need to obey. He gives them for my good, and as these verses say, praise is appropriate; God is good and kind and His truth does endure forever.

I need to say so for my sake — God already knows it.

No comments: