January 3, 2010

To Live is Christ — Being Pure in Heart

The devotional guide that I am using this year is not dated. However, my software program allows me to set a reading plan for the year. With this guide, the reading plan has me looking at the same section for 3-4 days. In other words, if God is convicting me about something, I’m not as apt to “skip” it, but must consider what He is saying to me.

Today, I am still reading this passage:

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, For they shall be filled.  Blessed are the merciful, For they shall obtain mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, For they shall see God. (Matthew 5:6–8)
The guide makes pointed statements and asks pointed questions. It says things like, “Purity improves your vision so you can see God” and “Without purity your view of God will be limited.”

Today I am asked this: “If your vision of God is dim, what does that say about your purity?”

My first thought regarding purity is having a clean mind. This is not a current problem. However, purity is a broader term. It can also mean being free from the use of anything that is forbidden, from corrupt desire, from sin and guilt, from every admixture of what is false, blameless, innocent, unstained with the guilt of anything.

Another possible meaning is “not mixed” and this one fits with my focus this year: “for me, to live is Christ.” If I have conflicting goals for living, then I have a purity problem.

These are convicting thoughts. I have been called an ambitious person. I do many things and make many plans. My to-do list is long and I enjoy writing, making quilts, graphic arts, being involved with several groups, and teaching. Are all of these for God? Am I living for Christ with these activities? Or do I do them for me? Are my motives free from selfishness? Is my heart pure?

I cannot be sure that my heart is “for Christ” regarding all my goals. I’m asking the Lord to show me, and to help me with whatever needs to change. This is a test and discomforting, but I am determined.

We are on holidays. This we will be attending a church that we have never been to before. I’m asking the Lord to use His Word and this experience to help me see and confess whatever has the slightest stain. I deeply want to have a clearer vision of Him.

No comments: