January 17, 2010

To Live is Christ — because He sees me

In the movie, Avatar, the blue people say, “I see you” meaning that they see inside the hearts of others. No one can fool them because they are experts in detecting a lack of integrity. As one reviewer called it, this movie is spiritual fantasy.

In another movie we watched on television last night, this was not the case. The main character was totally duped by her husband. He was a criminal without any integrity. Even when she discovered evidence that convinced her, he told her that he was really working undercover for the State department. She believed him again and nearly lost her life. While each movie was only a fictional story, the second one was more credible. No matter the color of a person’s skin, blue included, there is only One who totally knows the human heart. 

But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature, because I have refused him. For the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” (1 Samuel 16:7)
A discerning person might have a better understanding of someone else’s heart than the average person, but who can really know the heart of someone else? I’ve been fooled, as I’m sure everyone else has been. Only God can see through all deception. Only God can see inside my heart and know my thoughts and desires. Only God knows the good and evil thoughts that cross my mind, and only God knows what I will say before I say it.

What is the practical side of this? I’m thinking that God always cautions His people against being swayed by appearances. Good looks do not always equal good character. A charming personality can be deceitful. I need to be perceptive and not easily duped.

This is personal also. God can see inside me. He alone knows me. I cannot play with sin, even in my head. It is just as the psalmist says,

O Lord, You have searched me and known me. You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off. You comprehend my path and my lying down, and are acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word on my tongue, but behold, O Lord, You know it altogether. You have hedged me behind and before, and laid Your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain it. (Psalm 139:1–6)
Not only does God know my deepest thoughts and my words before I speak them, He knows me better than I know myself. He knows my motivations and why I do what I do. He knows how to best guide and direct me, but also how to comfort me when I hurt and how to encourage me when I am discouraged.  When I think about this, I am in awe. As the psalmist says, such knowledge is too wonderful for me.

To live is Christ
is about trusting the One who sees me and knows me. Obviously He is in a far better position to guide my decisions, make sense of my life, supply what I need, and help me live with total integrity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.