September 12, 2009

Where is God when people suffer?

One of the big questions asks, “If there is a God, why does He allow suffering?” As a very young person, I watched a television show where one of the panelists constantly asked this question. I knew that he had the wrong idea, but was at a loss to explain why.

No doubt carefully reasoned answers will never satisfy those who ask this question, not because the answers are faulty, but because the one who asks begins with an ‘if’ or some other phrase revealing that they do not know God or what He is like.

I’ve wondered if these same skeptics also wrestle with sin and human responsibility for suffering, or do they blame God for this tool? I suppose He could stop people from doing things that cause suffering, but would that mean everyone must die? Perhaps a better question could be addressed to people. It would be, “If you care about those who suffer, why do you let it happen?”

God created a world that He called “very good” but soon after creation, human beings choose to disobey God and sin entered our very good world. Every human heart since then has this propensity to disobey God. We do our own thing, and in the process, suffering happens. To remove suffering, God has to remove sin.

The great good news of the Gospel is that Jesus Christ paid our penalty for sin and when invited, will come and live in our hearts. He changes people and gives those who believe in Him an ability to say no to sin and yes to Him.

That doesn’t mean that we always make the right choices, and besides that, those who do not believe in Jesus continue to choose whatever pleases them. Therefore, even with the possibility of having personal sin removed, sin still ruins our world. Until Jesus returns, until God restores and creates a new heaven and a new earth, suffering will be part of it. This is not God’s fault; it is ours.

Suffering’s source is often from the common pain, hardship, disease, and conflict in the world, all the results of sin’s corruption, but suffering can also be from my own particular foolishness and disobedience. Yet I am glad for that kind of suffering. I could not love and bless a God who let me sin without consequences.

The amazing thing is that those consequences do not stump God. His grace can turn all suffering into a powerful agent for good and for change. Suffering can teach lessons; when I burn my fingers, I learn to not touch the hot stove. Suffering can produce compassion; I loved my mother even more when she struggled with Alzheimer’s. Suffering can humble a proud heart; making mistakes that cause pain have knocked much arrogance out of my life. I agree with Paul who wrote:

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)
Even though God uses suffering as a means to discipline and teach me, He also uses it to show me His great compassion and comfort. He draws me closer to Him and encourages me of His love and care. In suffering, I learn and experience a greater depth of the amazing grace of God.

Not only that, He does it so I might be like He is for others who suffer. Suffering in itself is not a good thing, but God, who uses all things for the good of those who love Him (Romans 8:28-29), uses suffering to bless His people in a way that the “good life” could never offer.

Those who doubt God existence or that He is good because of suffering have missed the entire point. The grace of God can be found in our human predicaments, but only if we drop that priority of ‘me first’ that puts personal comfort at the top of the list.

No comments: