September 6, 2009

I’m thankful God is slow

When I hear people cussing and taking the Lord’s name in vain, I sometimes wonder why He doesn’t send a bolt of lightning and strike them dead, but after yesterday I’m glad that He does not do that.

I was grouchy all day, not swearing but with the crabby attitude that goes with it. It was raining, so my husband’s golf game was cancelled and my plans were changed. Instead of a long time in prayer, we rushed out the door and my attitude headed downhill. I need that prayer time, but instead of taking it later, I managed only a few snatches of confession later on when I finally got fed up with myself.

Today’s verses are about the patience of God and His attitude toward His enemies. After reading them, I am glad. Even though I act like a spoiled and selfish brat now and then, I am still His child and not His adversary.
God is jealous, and the Lord avenges; the Lord avenges and is furious. The Lord will take vengeance on His adversaries, and He reserves wrath for His enemies; the Lord is slow to anger and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked. (Nahum 1:2-3)
See the part in the middle? He is slow to anger. A memory verse comes to mind. “The Lord, the Lord God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abounding in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, by no means clearing the guilty. . . .” (Exodus 34:6-7).

God’s wrath on sin is certain. He demonstrated His attitude toward sin when He sent His only Son to the cross to die for it. Every sin that I ever committed or ever will commit has been laid on Jesus and the penalty paid. I have accepted that great act of God for my salvation and the forgiveness made available by His sacrifice is mine. Yesterday’s bad attitudes are forgiven (even though I’m still annoyed with myself).

For those who say “no” to Jesus, there remains no sacrifice for sin. Their guilt is by no means cleared. He will avenge His adversaries and the wrath that has been reserved will be poured out. God has the power to deal with all who reject His offer of salvation and eternal life. If they do not want their sin forgiven, it won’t be, but God is slow and the Bible explains why.
The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. (2 Peter 3:9)
God is not willing to send a bolt of lightning. Rather than punish sin, which He has every right to do, He wants repentance, a turning from sin to Him. He even helps me do that. His question to me this morning is,
Do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance? (Romans 2:4)
Despite the crabby attitude and unthankful spirit of yesterday, I consider His goodness precious and am particularly thankful that He is forbearing and longsuffering. I’m also glad that this morning’s rain has no thunder and lightning with it.

No comments: