September 3, 2009

His power covers my needs

Pressure and deadlines usually make me panic. I had both yesterday. I needed to finish a large project, complete some smaller tasks, and be packed and ready to leave for few days vacation with my husband. The mountain seemed far too high.

When days like this happen, I want to shorten my prayer time and get at it, but God is teaching me that His math and mine are not quite the same. He will take care of the pressures of my to-do list if I take the time to bring them to Him before I start working. While the work was still there, after praying about it, I had no interruptions, externally or internally. My mind was free to the point that I was able to scribble a full page outline while waiting for an appointment. All the tasks are complete, without stress. This is not my normal.

Today’s verses talk about Jesus’ power to save completely. One of my commentaries says these verses are as much about our daily walk and need for His saving power as they are about eternal life.
But He, because He continues forever, has an unchangeable priesthood. Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them. (Hebrews 7:24-25)
In part, this means that when I pray for help with my list, Jesus is praying also. I might pray, “God, I cannot get all this done in time,” but He is saying, “Protect her mind from the enemy’s lies and any ideas that will distract her or slow her down. Give her a constant awareness of her own need and of My ability to help her. Fill her heart with good thoughts, no anxiety or negative thoughts. . . .”

In other words, He prays about those sins that so easily trip me up, those seemingly little thoughts that race through my head and fuel a sense of panic and frustration over that looming deadline. No matter how I try, I cannot make them go away, but the Savior can and does rescue me from my own fears and worries. His salvation is to the uttermost, totally, for everything that I need saving from, including the pressures of life.

Jude closes his book with this encouraging benediction. It is about the future when I step into eternity, but it is also about right now when I need to run my race without falling or being sidelined by distractions and stress.
Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy, to God our Savior, Who alone is wise, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and forever. Amen. (Jude 24-25)
Thank You, Jesus.

No comments: