September 4, 2009

All this and I’m complaining?

Every now and then I need a reminder that each day is a gift and each event and circumstance is part of God’s plan for my life. I need the reminder because it is too easy to start complaining.

We are in Portland, and have never been here before. Getting around is a challenge. Our B & B is in a 7000 square foot house on 17 acres, which looked wonderful on the Internet, but our hostess seems a rookie at this. I will not make a list, but at least it is clean.

Last night by chance we found my favorite clothing store in the USA, on my list with a few items to purchase. After a few minutes in the store, I was disappointed. They didn’t have anything that I liked, and no sales. This is supposed to be an outlet store, but I can buy the same things at home for similar prices.

Then we went to a large bookstore. I’ve several books on my list too, but they didn’t have them. I did find one that looked promising, but was less than enthusiastic. Will my shopping trip be a total dud?

This morning God sent me to my life-verses, a passage of Scripture that He has used over and over to calm and reassure me when things big or small slip sideways or flip upside-down. Besides assurance, these verses tell me what I need to do instead of complaining.
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. (Romans 8:28-29)
It says, “we know” and I do know it. No matter the situations, God can use them to conform me to the image of Jesus Christ. That is His will for me, and the circumstances, good or bad, are His tools. Whatever happens, I can respond with a Christlike response. I don’t need to grumble.

Divine providence means that God is in charge. Whether I am happy, enjoying prosperity and on an easy path, or sad, in pain and on a difficult road, God can bring out the best in me; He can bring out Jesus.

But that does not happen when I am complaining. Complaining essentially is one way of telling God that He does not know what He is doing. That is akin to blasphemy. How can He do good things in my life when I am resisting Him? How can I see the good in them when I’m filled with a resentful or “poor me” attitude?

One way to respond to “all things” is by being thankful. I can easily make a list. I’m looking out a window at 50 foot evergreens for one thing. The trees are beautiful. In the background, some roosters are crowing a good morning wake-up call. I slept well on a comfortable bed.

Another response to all things is patience. We are here 3-4 more days, and have not yet begun to explore and learn why some of our family members love this city. Who knows what God has in mind for us?

Besides, my hubby gets to golf. His work is stressful and this trip is really for him. I can be an encouragement to his relaxation. That is what Jesus would do and I need to get with the program.

No comments: