August 28, 2009

My sand castles don’t last long

The World Championships of Sand Sculpture Competition are open to Master Sand Sculptors only. To qualify, a person must have competed in the Master's category in Solo Competition at specific places, or as Lead Sculptor of a Master's Team on the international scene, or is an accomplished sculptor in another medium and has won awards, or has worked with a professional sand sculpture company for at least three years. These are interesting qualifications for an art that will last no longer than the next high tide!

Perhaps this is why Jesus selected the illustration of building your house on sand to explain the folly of disobeying God. He said,
But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall. (Matthew 7:26-27)
Sand particles are actually ground bits of rock or other material. Some are rounded, some are smooth, but their chief characteristic is that they do not bind together very well. Because of that, anything placed on sand doesn’t stay in place very long. The first strong wind, or just a bit more water, and the sand flies away or becomes a shapeless blob.

A house built on the sand symbolizes a life built on an unstable foundation. Like moist sand, it might look good and seem firm, but add some wind or a little too much water and the foundation blows or slips away leaving the builder’s life in chaos. I’ve had a few such major storms in my life and the horrible sense of being washed up that goes with it.

Lately I’d been struggling with a very small storm. A certain issue came up and I was not happy with my reaction to it. I knew I’d “leaned” the wrong way into that storm, but wasn’t sure what to do now. Something seemed wrong or incomplete, but I didn’t know what it was.

I kept asking God for an explanation. Silence. Why? If He didn’t want me to change anything, why did I feel so off balance, like something had been taken from under me and my footing was gone? Perplexed and upset, I kept asking for specifics so I could understand and repent and change, or do whatever else He might want me to do.

On the way to lunch with a friend, I turned on the local Christian radio station and heard a speaker talking about Paul’s behavior in the book of Acts. He was on a ship headed to Rome when they hit a storm. Paul’s reactions were far more noble than the others on the ship. He remained level-headed and thoughtful, whereas the others were concerned only about their own survival. Toward the end of the message, the speaker said that storms do not change our nature; they simply bring out who we really are.

That was the answer to my question. My small storm brought out a response in me that revealed a much larger problem. Instead of doing something about that relatively unimportant issue, God wanted me to deal with who I am and how I think on a much broader level. I was both relieved and dismayed. From this small storm, I could see that the foundation for many things that I do is just a pile of sand.

Today’s devotional reading says, “Don’t be like the one who superficially and carelessly chooses a section of the world’s sand to build his hope.” That sand can be “self-will, self-sufficiency, self-righteousness, self-purpose, or self-fulfillment.” In other words, me, myself, and I, a foundation that is all about what I want and not what God wants.

I’m thankful that the Lord sent only a small wave to wash the sand out from under me, not a huge wave of total havoc. I’m also thankful that He provides much stronger support. No matter how pretty or appealing or familiar the sand looks, He knows I am far better with the Rock beneath my feet. The only way my life can withstand the storms, large or small is with Jesus because He is able to support me.

No comments: