August 20, 2009

Changed mind = changed life

Repentance is more than feeling sorry for something that I’ve done. I could be feeling sorry because I got caught, or because of unpleasant consequences from my actions. Those feelings might be legitimate, but they are not repentance.

The Bible word used for repentance means a change of mind. These days, that is often a frivolous statement that means very little, but God is clear about the fact that what goes on in our mind comes out in our actions. A true change of mind means a change of life.

With that, biblical repentance is turning away from sin, and to turn away from it leaves only one place to go, toward God who is sinless. This isn’t about emotion, although great emotion might accompany it. Instead, repentance is a decision, an action of choice.

When John the Baptist was calling people back to God, he said to the multitudes that came out to be baptized by him, “Brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Therefore bear fruits worthy of repentance, and do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I say to you that God is able to raise up children to Abraham from these stones” (Luke 3:7-8).

Evidently some thought that their Jewish heritage was enough to satisfy God. They were Jews and that would save them from God’s wrath. Today, the equivalent is claiming a Christian family background, or church attendance, or even a “religious” life, but God isn’t impressed by those things either. As John said, He is looking for a changed life, not any claim of belonging nor some religious affiliation, nor even of being a good person.

Sometimes I’ve looked at someone and said that they would make a good Christian, but that is a false idea. God isn’t impressed by what we are. Otherwise, Jesus would not have had to die. I came to God with nothing, for that is how He sees me. The Bible says,
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.
The exciting thing isn’t what I can do, but what God will do for me once that gift is mine. Verse 10 says,
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. (Ephesians 2:8-10)
Salvation is a gift from God, and the proof of having it is a changed life, also a gift of God. I cannot bring anything to Him, not my parentage, nor heritage, nor goodness. Those things might be nice, but they cannot save anyone. It happens by grace through faith; both are His gifts. After that, the proof is good works that come from a mind and heart that He has changed.

These are true good works, the kind that are not selfishly motivated and done to impress people. They happen only through the help of Christ. Philippians 1 tells how Paul prayed for the Christians at Philippi that “you may approve the things that are excellent, that you may be sincere and without offense till the day of Christ, being filled with the fruits of righteousness which are by Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God” (Philippians 1:10-11).

The fruit or good works in their lives happened only because of Jesus. Jesus Himself said, “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing” (John 15:5), and I know that is true.

All this being said, God has been teaching me that repentance is something I can choose. I may feel strongly sorry or have no emotions at all over whatever sin I want to turn from. Emotions are not the issue. And even though I cannot make new life happen, all I need to do is bring my sin and inability to change to Him. 1 John 1:9 is true; when I confess, “He is faithful and just to forgive my sin and cleanse me from all unrighteousness.”

I’ve often told people that this is the most important truth regarding Christian living. So many Christians strive very hard to change their lives. They try and try and try, only to fail repeatedly. Our lives change only by coming to God empty-handed, the same way we did for salvation. He, not me, is the Savior — from beginning to end, and through and through.

No comments: