August 29, 2009

But sand is easier on the feet . . .

I’ve a book called Born Crucified that I read about once every decade. This time I’m finding it so rich that I wonder if I even understood any of it the first time I read it. Shaking my head and somewhat astonished, I’m thinking that I must have or I would not be drawn back to this same book again and again. It is like digging for gold. I’ve not lost the sense that there are richer veins if I just keep at it.

When Jesus talked about building a strong Christian life, He illustrated by comparing this effort to building a house on a solid rock foundation. A rock base is much better than one made of sand that is without stability. He said of the wise builder:
He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock. (Luke 6:48)
I noticed this morning that this man dug deep. Digging down to rock takes work. The wise builder is willing to toil at it until he finds the solid foundation beneath the surface. This made me think about my first time I read through my favorite book. I was thrilled with its truths. The second time was a deeper dig, and now the fourth time through and I realize that most of what I’d understood the first time was still mixed with the sand in my heart. I’d not yet fully hit the rock because I hadn’t yet fully done the work.

Digging deep into the truth of God isn’t about study and learning only. It is also about living it out, applying what is learned, letting the truths sink so deeply into who I am that they become an automatic response to life, not something I need to look up again, or give great thought to; they are simply beneath and upholding all that I am and do.

Digging deep into the truth of God is also about shoveling out the sand. That shifting foundation of me, myself, and I, and always insisting on doing my own thing is called sin. Like fine sand driven by the wind, it is embedded into every part of me. The power of truth clears it out, but this also takes time and work. As God exposes the sand, I must confess it and ask Him to forgive and cleanse me. It has taken years of digging to realize that I cannot cling to that Rock on which I must stand if I allow those shifting and permeating particles of selfishness and personal choices obscure my foundation. But they keep blowing in.

Digging deeper means giving my days and hours to God, listening for His direction and not doing my own thing. It also means paying attention once the truth is found. It means being alert to the needs of others. It means sacrifice. It means working out my salvation (not working for it).

Sometimes living in sand seems much easier. However, as soon as my feet start to slip, I sense God handing me my shovel and telling me to get back to my primary task. He has no intention that I stand on anything but His solid foundation.

No comments: