July 13, 2009

The zeal of Love

According to a report made a few years ago, the production of assembly line workers tends to drop to the lowest denominator. That is, whoever works the poorest and slowest eventually sets the pace. Another report said that this happens in our national postal service as well. This could be true in a lot of situations where people work together.

I once read a book with the subtitle, “It Takes So Little to be Above Average.” At the time, I was terribly ambitious and wanted everyone else to have the same zeal for doing things as I did. As the years go by, I now notice how I can take for granted certain Christian duties. Of course I’m to love other believers and be joyful. Of course I’m to be patient in difficulties and always pray. Yet I don’t have the same zeal for meeting these things head on as I used to. Instead, I’ve slipped into that mentality that does only as much as seems to be expected.

The truth is, most people have such low expectations that “average” has become the new high. In a little booklet on prayer, the author says that Christian standards have fallen to such a low that when an average Christian comes along (average by biblical standards), everyone lauds that person as super-spiritual.

I’d be the last person to understand why this happens. In my own life, zeal is difficult to maintain unless I’m around others with a good dose of it, yet God does not allow any excuses. The Bible is filled with admonitions to be zealous.
Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another; not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer. (Romans 12:10-12)
“Don’t lag in diligence; be fervent in spirit . . . continuing steadfastly. . . .” Where does this zeal come from? Some might say youth, or getting enough sleep, or temperament, or being able to focus, but the Lord has to be the author of zeal. I never had it at all until He came into my life.

If the reports are right, zeal to serve the Lord is not the average person’s driving force, however. Instead, it is more like, “what’s in it for me?” and if there is little or no reward, then most people do just enough to get by, or to be acceptable, or to have something to claim that will pacify a guilty conscience.

I miss being zealous. I miss the energy of my youth and the fire I once had to walk with God. Admittedly, some of that was misplaced and misused, but a zest for God is like new love, being in love. It is a good thing.

Revelation 2 contains words to the church in Ephesus about their spiritual condition. To them the Lord says, “I know your works, your labor, your patience, and that you cannot bear those who are evil. And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars; and you have persevered and have patience, and have labored for My name’s sake and have not become weary. Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent.” (Revelation 2:2-5).

These people had the perseverance and patience and did not get tired of serving God, but something was missing. It was that zest for Jesus, that desire to serve Him that was driven by a deep love for Him.

Each day when I get out of bed in the morning and make decisions about the activities of the day, I want those decisions and activities to flow out of my love for God, not out of necessity or what’s in it for me. This love is not the passion of infatuation, nor the blind exuberance of puppy love, but a deep and consistent desire to do all that I do alongside the One that says He will never leave me or forsake me, and who zealously loves me.

No comments: