July 3, 2009

Spiritual Disciplines: Listen & Obey

Modern “theologies” attempt to culturalize Scripture to the point that most of it becomes irrelevant for today. Instead, I’m convinced that the wiser thing is to consider “all Scripture profitable” and recognize it as the Word of God to me, today. If I try to do anything less, I will easily come up with excuses not to obey this or that passage, and will miss hearing the Lord speaking to me.

I could do that with today’s verses. I could say they are about men, or about preachers, or about those in full-time ministry. However, my heart has this burning feeling in it when I try to think those things. I know that God has something for me in these verses.
Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus. To this end I also labor, striving according to His working which works in me mightily. (Colossians 1:28-29)
Preaching isn’t just for preachers. The Greek work here can also be translated “announce” or “proclaim” and both words apply to any Christian, not just those behind the pulpit. I must obey that challenge.

Warning is about someone’s conduct. If a Christian is disobeying God, they may need to be lovingly and humbly admonished so they will repent and stop sinning. Then this verse adds the word teaching which in those days went beyond simple instruction. This is more like discipleship, spending time with another Christian to help them learn about Christ. I must obey that challenge.

However, the Bible says women are not to teach men like this. Modern theologies try to write that out, but I don’t have a problem with it. Close discipleship with the opposite sex has led to temptation and problems, so God knows what He is saying. However, the word man in these verses is the generic version and refers to all people. Women can warn and teach withing the limits otherwise imposed. This verse permits, even instructs me to disciple other women to maturity (which is what being perfect means). I must obey that challenge.

To do this, I need several things. The first is wisdom. I’ve tried warning people without it and that was not a good idea. Wisdom is also needed in my method of teaching. For one thing, teaching is not dumping facts on someone.

I also need wisdom to know the difference between God at work in me, and my own zeal. These verses tell me to work in His power, not my own strength. I must obey that challenge.

I also need a clear picture of that goal called “perfect in Christ Jesus.” Maturity in Christ is being like Him, so I need to know what He is like. That means I need to study and spend time with Him myself. I cannot teach what I do not know. This is as important as being wise. I must obey that challenge.

Furthermore, I need the self-discipline required to work at this and at warning and teaching. Giving up on such tasks is so easy. The goal is high and when I fail or my disciples fail, there is a strong temptation to do something else that offers more immediate rewards.

Instead, I am to strive as God gives me strength. The Greek word for striving is literally, “agonizing” or “striving as in the agony of a contest.” Jesus agonized in Gethsemane when praying and sweat drops of blood. In my experience, no one starts anything with this kind of determination. Striving like this requires practice. It is worked into rather than an immediate discipline.

The author of my devotional says it again; in learning how to be disciplined, begin with the little things. He says to homemakers, “Begin in the main bedroom and when that discipline is established, extend it to the rest of your home.”

For me, the last pocket of resistence in my efforts to diligently be a “keeper at home” is my studio where I write and make quilts. I continually strive to keep it from looking like an explosion in a book and fabric store.

He also offers other suggestions to build a disciplined life. Make it a habit to be punctual. Do the hardest jobs first (which makes the rest seem easy). Plan my day and my week rather than just reacting to whatever comes along.

The next few are a greater challenge, at least for me. He says to be grateful for correction and constructive criticism. I’m usually not. He also says to practice self-denial. My husband is better at this than I am; he can actually turn down a piece of pie when he really would like to eat it. The value of this is that discipline in the physical realm carries over to the spiritual realm. I must obey that challenge.

I’m thankful for the Word of God. There is much to consider and put into practice in all that I’ve heard from Him today. I will start with doing the next thing, the one that is my greatest challenge each day — spend a good long time in prayer. That too is a spiritual discipline and I must obey that challenge.

No comments: