July 15, 2009

I love my job

Job descriptions are important. Without them, I can only imagine the chaos in a work place if some people were doing only the work that appeals to them, others were coming along and redoing the same tasks, and vast areas were being neglected.

Job descriptions for paid positions are vital, but they are also important for volunteer organizations. While bringing my “style” into an unpaid job could have some value, doing my own thing without giving attention to the others causes confusion and ensures that I do not meet their expectations or get the job done.

My local church also has certain positions with job descriptions. Many of these descriptions are not written, but because the Bible is so clear about how we are supposed to behave, much of what we do or how we do it is included in Scripture.

For instance, my assigned task is to facilitate a Bible study class. I’m to show up at 9:30 every Sunday with prepared study material and lead the class through it. Nothing is given to show me how to do that, but the Bible gives the fuller job description. One passage says this:
Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another; not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer; distributing to the needs of the saints, given to hospitality. (Romans 12:10-13)
I am supposed to care about the women in my class and put their needs ahead of my own. I’m to be diligent in research, preparation, and teaching, but also persevere in loving them. I need to remember that in serving them, I am serving the Lord. I’m to be joyful as I hope for fruit in their lives, patient when trials come (and they do), continually praying for all of them, meeting their needs whenever I can, and welcoming them into my life.

I left out one phrase that the Lord is nudging me as a point of focus: fervent in spirit. This speaks about having an enthusiastic attitude, being excited about what I do.

Last night in a television advertisement for a job placement service, I heard several “actors” say, “I love my job.” As I listened, I tried to remember the last time I heard anyone in real life say this. Many people complain about work and dislike their job.

The job might not be the whole problem. I notice that little things like not getting enough sleep can destroy my enthusiasm for just about anything. Lack of clear instruction (a good job description) can make me hesitant rather than fervent in spirit. Working without encouragement or praise will dull my edge, and little or no visible results from my work often make me feel like giving up.

In my spiritual service to God, I know that enthusiasm requires the Holy Spirit. If I am filled with me, my energy will not last, but His help includes resolve, persistence, and a zeal that is deep and ongoing. Not only that, if my job description is not clear, He knows what I am supposed to do and will guide me along the way.

I’ve struggled with all sorts of things the past few days. One of them has been too many jobs and each one with demands for excellence, precision, and a deadline. I’ve been up too late most nights and tired. Last night I turned off my alarm and managed to sleep a bit longer than normal. Sleep helps, but so do the promises of God.

The Lord reminds me that even though I cannot see the results of my labor, He can. He says, “Do not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart” (Galatians 6:9) and with that urges me to pay attention to my job description, be fervent in spirit and enjoy what I am doing.

No comments: