July 14, 2009

Get with it; it will be worth it

More and more, the yards in our neighborhood are looking neglected. Dozens of reasons come to mind, from family illness to plain laziness, but one thing is certain: weeds flourish when the gardener does not show up.

The same has been said of evil. It too will flourish when good people do nothing. Yet as much as the mess our world is in (perhaps reflected in unkept gardens), I can think of dozens of reasons why I am not showing up. I argue everything from I’m poorly equipped to I am too old. I could say that God hasn’t given me any direct orders, or that I don’t know where to start.

Sometimes God shakes me to wake me up. Sometimes He offers gentle nudges. Sometimes He is very understanding. This morning He directed me to these verses:
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work or device or knowledge or wisdom in the grave where you are going. (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

“I (Jesus) must work the works of Him who sent Me while it is day; the night is coming when no one can work”
(John 9:4).

And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.
(Colossians 3:23-24)
I could live another twenty-five years, but there is no guarantee of that, nor do I know what my health will be like. Instead of fretting about the future though, God wants me to concentrate on the present and enthusiastically do whatever He puts in front of me. I can busy up my to-do list with my own stuff or I can listen to His voice and quit making excuses.

Today He is encouraging me. I need to listen. Today He gently reminds me that when I die, all opportunities to serve Him here on earth are over. I need to listen and obey. His promise of a reward for being obedient and serving Him with enthusiasm was also in my reading today:
For God is not unjust to forget your work and labor of love which you have shown toward His name, in that you have ministered to the saints, and do minister. (Hebrews 6:10)

No comments: