June 12, 2009

The power of truth

Truth is the highest virtue, at least in my estimation.

The most painful things that have ever happened to me involve lies. Nothing hurts my heart more deeply than to be lied to, and nothing separates me from others more than falsehood.

When someone lies to me and I realize it, I am like a terrier after a rabbit, digging until I get to the bottom of the lie or better, until the truth comes out. This is because several good friendships and some family relationships have been strained by lies, but it is also because lying is an affront to Jesus, the One who said, “I am . . . the truth” (John 14:6).

A wise person said that the relationship between truth and holiness is similar to that between light and vision; light cannot create an eye or give a blind eye vision, but it is essential to seeing. Wherever light penetrates, it dissipates darkness and brings everything into view. In a similar manner, truth cannot regenerate or impart spiritual life, but it is essential to the practice of holiness. Wherever truth penetrates, it dissipates error and reveals everything for what it really is.

This is why Paul affirmed the need for truth. He wrote about behaving as a Christian and the importance of putting off the old ways. He said, “Put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness” and because this new person is united to Christ, the consequences of that union will show up. So he added,
Therefore, putting away lying, let each one of you speak truth with his neighbor, for we are members of one another. (Ephesians 4:25)
This speaks to individual Christian conduct, but is really for all of us together. Paul’s reason is that we belong to each other. The body of Christ is built up with truth and by “speaking the truth in love” (Ephesians 4:15) to accomplish that growth. Lies will tear apart our unity and ruin our progress in holy living.

Some people do not like the “do not’s” of the Christian life because they assume these will “ruin all my fun.” This is not so. In particular, this “do not” forbids one of the most destructive and sinful practices in our world. Lying began in Eden when the devil (called the “father of lies” by Jesus) convinced Eve to disobey God. Because of his deception and the human actions that followed, sin entered the world. From that point on, lies have torn apart lives, even whole cultures and nations. In the New Testament, the first sin judged in the church was a lie.

Going back to this “do not” verse, notice that it begins with “therefore” which is a “so then.” Paul is showing there is a logical relationship between Bible theory and Christian practice. If I have new life in Christ, I will not lie, but I will replace falsehood with truth.

Truth is the cement that holds the Body of Christ together. Because we are united and being built up together into one body, what each person does affects the others. For instance, if I lie because I think someone is not competent to handle the truth, I destroy any honest and intimate association I might have with them.

I’m totally with God on this: falsehood divides, and even though the truth hurts at times, truth and Jesus cannot be separated. Both are powerful to change lies and unite people.

No comments: