May 19, 2009

Paul is okay, but . . .

Lately I’ve been reading sewing magazines from the library. I’m looking for ways to alter patterns so they fit my body. This morning, God reminds me that I’m also to be looking for patterns that require me to alter, not the pattern, but myself.

Paul was a model Christian. He had been given grace to rise to that position, grace that did not include pride. Paul knew God had blessed him to be a leader, and this was not his own doing. Therefore, he was not pushing it by asking others to follow his example.
Brethren, join in following my example, and note those who so walk, as you have us for a pattern. For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ whose end is destruction, whose god is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame — who set their mind on earthly things. (Philippians 3:17-19)
When I think of Paul, I imagine this zealous evangelist and church planter who had strong Christian character and always sought the will of God. I know that God wants me to follow his example, yet there are parts of who Paul was that I cannot be. For one thing, God is not calling me to leave all my present relationships and bounce around the world planting churches.

The problem with Paul as my example is that he doesn’t offer me as clear a pattern when it comes to things pertaining to being a wife and mother. I don’t think he had a chauvinistic streak as some think of him (in regard to some of his words about women), but I sometimes wish the New Testament had more detailed descriptions of the lives of godly women, women who struggled with the same things I struggle with.

In this passage, Paul contrasts his life and those who live for Christ with “enemies of the cross” who are more interested in satisfying their own appetites than in serving others. They lived for temporal, earthly things and did not have Paul’s dedication to serving Christ, nor his eternal perspective. I can relate those things to my own life, but I still wish there were more biblical examples of godly women and how they handled daily problems.

Part of my perplexity is cultural. In those days, women were generally at home where their responsibilities took all their time and skills. They didn’t have time on their hands like I do, nor have to make decisions about using that time wisely like I do. They also had the close company of other like-minded women, so finding role models was not difficult. However, I’ve lived in cities where all my neighbors went to work during the day and I was the only person at home for blocks around me. I can talk with others on the phone, interact through Face Book, etc., but this does not have the same value as live, nearby role models and mentors.

Part of it is also purely physical. The Bible tells husbands to honor and care for their wives as the weaker sex, but what about the women without a husband? Or the women whose husband doesn’t give two figs what the Bible says? Some women struggle with being weaker physically and must figure out appropriate ways to even ask for help without winding up with more than they asked for. Other weaknesses include the hormone thing and the struggle to love our families without being a nag or a worry wart.

When I am sewing, I can easily compare what I make to commercial garments and know if my work passes muster. When I quilt, I can have a look at what others are doing and see where my own work could be improved. Godly examples of Christian women are important. They can help me see better ways to deal with everyday issues and encourage me to walk more closely to Jesus. I’m thankful for my friends and the people in my church, yet are times that I just wish I had more female godly examples to follow.

No comments: