May 24, 2009

A Grave Danger

In many parts of the world the Christian church does not have a very good reputation. Some of it is because the world does not understand or accept the message of the Gospel. To them it is either foolish or offensive; no one likes hearing they are a sinner. Jesus even said that some who believe in Him will be opposed by their own family members.
Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be those of his own household. (Matthew 10:34-36)
However, some of the bad rap the church gets is valid, in part because Christians do not obey God, and in part because the church has been infiltrated and inundated with false teaching. When Christians disobey God and follow lies they not only offend God but eventually offend everyone else. We cannot say we haven’t been warned. Jesus said it over and over.
Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. (Matthew 7:15)

Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. (Matthew 24:11)
Paul’s concern for the church was also repeated several times.
For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ. . . (Philippians 3:18)

For of this sort are those who creep into households and make captives. . . . (2 Timothy 3:6)

For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers . . . whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole households, teaching things which they ought not, for the sake of dishonest gain. (Titus 1:11)
I’m noticing that the danger is not just to the church but to “households” indicating that families are affected. This is not the same kind of division that Christ brings in which people are divided in matters of faith. Instead, this is a messing of the minds of families by false teachers who are doing it for some sort of personal gain.

Most families and most churches would not invite an obvious enemy into their company, but this is not about obvious. As Jesus said, they come disguised. False teachers may look like sheep, like one of us. They pretend to love Christ and pretend to be Christians. They might even reach positions of spiritual leadership, but eventually they bring division and rebellion into the lives of their followers.

Personally, being on guard against such things involves knowing what the Bible says, but also remembering that I have blind spots just like anyone else. In my areas of strength I might not be careful because I think I am okay, but I’ve had enough battles with evil spiritual forces just this week alone to know that I can be duped.

Besides, the real enemies are not flesh and blood, but the “principalities, powers, rulers of the darkness of this age, and spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places” spoken of in Ephesians 6. For that, God gives armor to protect me and the weapon of truth from His Word to fight back.

For my church and my family, I also need to be alert and on guard, thankful that God is our fortress and shield, but also quick to test everything we hear. Not all of it is from God. I need to remember that false teaching can sound good at first, but all teaching needs to be tested against Scripture. I need to stay in the Word of God.

If I don’t do that and follow someone’s lies, this would ruin my life and rob me of the joy of following the truth. That alone would be terrible, but such error could also make me a partner in ruining the reputation of Christianity.

No comments: