May 30, 2009

Better than money

The prosperity gospel is not true. Television preachers and others say that if you give to God He will give back a hundredfold. God is pictured like a genie in a bottle who will grant all those who are generous with money anything they want, including financial prosperity.

Sometimes He does, but this unlimited wealth nonsense is largely a North American perversion that mocks millions of believers who live below what we would call the poverty line. The Bible is quite plain about money and about salvation. Those who come to Christ and are received into His kingdom do so to be saved from sin, not poverty. There is much in Scripture about money being a snare and a deceptive hope. We cannot serve God and money.

God lives in eternity and knows that our lives are short. We cannot take one thing from this life to the next, cash included. When we stand before Him, our hands will be empty. However, because God offers eternal life to those who trust Jesus to save them from sin, He also offers eternal blessings. Paul wrote this:
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ . . . (Ephesians 1:3)
I do experience spiritual blessings on earth, but their origin is heaven and because that is true, they are eternally mine. They will follow me from this life to the next. They are fixed, secure because God made them so.

In this life, I also experience material blessings. God is generous. He cares that His people have enough and that our needs are met. He makes promises like this one from Matthew 6:31-33,
Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.
I cannot explain why some Christians have more than others, nor why He allows many to suffer and struggle at or below the poverty line. But I do know this — even if He grants money as a temporal blessing, it is merely temporal. I cannot take it with me, and even if I could, it would be useless in heaven. What good is money when the very streets I walk on will be transparent gold and the city around me will have walls made of precious stones?

The true gospel is that Jesus died for our sins, was buried, and rose again the third day. To all who believe in Him, He forgives their sin and gives eternal life. This is His very own never-ending life and it is secure. We don’t do anything to deserve it, nor can we do anything to keep it, or to get rid of it. Now that I belong to Christ, He is my security for my future on earth and for eternity. Money just cannot cut it. Whatever I have invested, or in the bank, or in my purse can fly away with wings (as the current recession proves).

In contrast, Jesus said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” He came into my life and gave me His eternal life. He stays — that life stays. The blessings are about eternity and about Jesus. Even though He takes care of me very well in regard to temporary things that could change, but the spiritual blessings He gives will never change.

I am a grateful person and glad that I can trust my God. We are attending a wedding today, and I think of the vows and compare God’s commitment to me and mine to Him. It is through thick and thin, sickness and health, richer and poorer, but not until death do us part. Rather, God loves me now and until death unites us forever. Then, in a far better place, I will experience the fullness of all that He has promised to me and to His people.

Note: Those who attended my presentation yesterday gave good feedback. I was nervous but they were gracious. I’m thankful to God that I can trust any eternal results to Him.

1 comment:

Karin said...

You said it well!! Glad your presentation brought appreciative comments and excellent feedback! Have a great week-end!