April 6, 2009

It is finished!

In the Old Testament sacrificial system, sacrifices were offered frequently, just as sin was committed frequently. God had declared that there was no remission of sin without the shedding of blood and this system covered their sin for a time. They needed to make the sacrifices in faith, realizing that a Redeemer would come.

Jesus did come, the Lamb of God who bore the sin of the world. Unlike the other sacrifices, His was sufficient. It covered all sin and He only had to do it once.
As it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment, so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation. (Hebrews 9:27-28)
As the people of God looked ahead to full redemption, I look back. Just as Jesus said, “It is finished” (John 19:30) and my redemption is complete. Every time I or anyone else sins, there is no need for another sacrifice. Jesus did it. His blood was shed, not just for the sins up to His sacrifice, but all sin for all time.

I know many people do not understand this or believe it. It seems weird, or gory, or a silly way to deal with sin, but this was God’s plan from before the foundation of the world (1 Peter 1:20). He knew that humanity would fall into sin and He knew that His Son would have to die for that sin, bearing the punishment we deserve.

Every morning I ask the Lord to give me truth and thoughts that I need for each day. Sometimes I am startled by the way His response fits my needs. When I have a question; He answers it. When I have a need; He supplies what I need.

Today, I’m tired from a full and wonderful day of worship yesterday, and He gives this — the simple truth of the Gospel — Jesus came, bore all my sin and gave me eternal life. Further, He is coming again and when He does, I will experience the fullness of the salvation that is mine. Today, He bids me to simply rest in the wonder of that reality.

No comments: