March 16, 2009

Power to change

For most Christians in North America, our experience with faith starts out noisy; this is all we talk about. We want everyone to know about Jesus and eternal life and find out that some are actually interested. However, after awhile many of our friends get tired of hearing us. Some are possibly convicted that their lifestyle is contrary to our new life. Some might make fun of us and we avoid them. Whatever the reason, those friendships drop away. We begin to be a bit cautious about sharing our faith, even at times are afraid to say anything. We quickly learn that Christians who seldom talk about their faith are not likely to experience persecution.

In other parts of the world, many new believers risk their lives to tell others about Jesus Christ. In a few countries, the results are less volatile, yet their families shun them and their friends mock them. Those who are bold pay no attention and continue to tell people how to be saved. Their passion overrides their fear of persecution.

The apostle Paul had been a zealous anti-Christian, which bothered only the believers. When he met Christ on the road to Damascus and became a Christian, he started to talk. Then reactions changed and he was laughed at, regarded as a fool, put in jail, chased out of town, and stoned, but he continued to talk. He gives his reason for this:
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. (Romans 1:16)
Paul knew that those who believe (a present tense verb indicating an ongoing condition) were experiencing the power of God in their lives. He was experiencing this life-changing power himself. He wanted others to know it and know the salvation that it brings.

Salvation is a rescue word, a word about deliverance from sin and its power to rule our lives. God rescues believers from our lostness and our inability to stop sinning. Salvation saves us from the wrath of God on our sin, from our spiritual ignorance and blindness, from darkness, and from eternal punishment. It is the most incredible gift that anyone could receive, and it is offered freely — from Almighty God to us, Jews and Gentiles, everyone.

This verse raises questions for me. I used to talk more about salvation. While I can write about it, even in letters and email, the verbal communication is much more difficult. I don’t think that I am ashamed of it — nothing gets me more excited, more enthusiastic than sharing spiritual truth — yet I’m cautious to the point that I’m not sure if that caution is from God or I’m just a coward.

What does God want from me? Are the people around me truly not ready to hear, not interested, and simply so dead to spiritual things that I would be “casting my pearls” only to see them trampled, and wasting my efforts? Or is the problem with me?

Now that I say that, I’m making myself open to change. The gospel, which I believe with all my heart, is the power of God for those who believe. Since I am one who believes, this power is for me and can overcome the problem of silence. I’m convinced that He is able to do that, but also to open the hearts and minds of others. That means that I am certain about this: when God wants me to talk and He wants someone to hear, He can make that happen.

No comments: