March 24, 2009

Passion for the simple truth

I dropped out halfway through a master’s degree in religious education at a conservative denominational seminary. I loved learning and enjoyed the classes, except one. The professor had been steeped in a liberal interpretation of the Bible that bypassed what Scripture plainly said. He used a great deal of speculation and supposing to the point that one of the students asked, “Would I need to become an atheist to pass this course?”

Another student, after reading seven books on the course reading list, told me that she was beginning to believe some of the same junk as written by the authors and that supported the professor’s views. She also said she was becoming quite confused.

I felt ill equipped to deal with all this. No student’s arguments could change that man’s views. At that, I decided I’d be more beneficial to the kingdom of God serving street people at the local soup kitchen than trying to educate myself in theology and in the art of teaching the Bible, at least at that place. I walked out midterm and have not gone back. That professor holds a high position and still teaches there, and I shudder.

What happens to Christians who lose sight of the simple truths of the Bible? Why do some stray from the point that we are sinners and God sent a Savior to die for our sin and offer us eternal life? Where did they take off on another path? And how can I avoid doing the same thing?

My devotional makes some suggestions on how to fuel a passion for one important basic response to God: sharing the good news, the simple message of salvation. The reading says to first study Jesus Christ and His love and mercy toward sinners.
But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd. Then He said to His disciples, “The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.” (Matthew 9:36-38)
Jesus never lost sight of His purpose for being here. He came to seek and to save the lost, and the Bible tells me that I must do the same. “He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked” (1 John 2:6).

I’m also told to study sin. It was more than thirty-five years ago, but I still remember the power of my first Bible study. It was about sin. For days I read Scripture about its guilt, power, and penalty. I became deeply aware of the devastation that sin causes and how it ruins lives. In those early days, I learned to hate it and wanted others to also hate it and be freed from it.

Since then, I realize the strong pull of sin. My own sinful desires are bad enough, but they are stirred by the lies of Satan. If I listen to him or am stirred by the ideas in the world around me, I stray from the simple truth. That is why Paul wrote, “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind” (Romans 12:2). Letting a college professor confuse it does not transform me toward that end.

The devotional reading today also says to study sinners. At first, I thought I could simply tell people what they needed and they would go for it, but I learned that sin is stronger than mere words. It takes the power of God to break its hold, and sometimes that power is best demonstrated by love and compassion, not persuasion. Being a good listener and a true friend is far more important than putting someone on a “project list” and treating them like a challenge. People need Jesus and Jesus was a friend of sinners.

Another way to fuel my passion for the gospel and the sharing of it is to study Scripture and see what it says about hell, death, judgment, and salvation. It is said that the founder of the Salvation Army began this ministry after a dream about seeing lost souls in hell.

I’ve never had a dream like that, but I’ve stood at the graves of those I love and not been sure where they have gone. This creates a sorrow that cannot be comforted. Even though some so-called theologians say otherwise, the Bible says that not everyone goes to a better place. Jesus said:
Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it. (Matthew 7:13-14)
I can also increase a passion for the lost by asking God for it. In the busyness of life, it is far too easy to get caught up with other passions. I can forget how short life is, not only my own but the lives of others. They are precious to God and need to be precious to me.

I can also forget that faith comes by hearing and someone must tell them. As scary as that is, God wants me to speak up. While many will not listen and might even laugh at me for my faith, a few will hear and their lives will change for eternity. Those few are very important.

Simply reading these thoughts and looking at a few verses points me again to the simplicity of the message. I don’t need a seminary degree to share it; I just need a heart like the heart of God who loves people so much that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life.

No comments: