March 13, 2009

Mission Statement

Success seminars say everyone needs a mission statement. Formulating one is difficult because it needs to answer big questions such as: What is my purpose? Why am I here? What am I supposed to be doing?

The reason behind having a mission or purpose statement is something like, “Aiming for the stars and hitting the woodpile is better than aiming for the woodpile and hitting your foot.” Everyone needs a goal. If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time.

Christians do well to think also about goals and our purpose for being here. After attending several seminary classes that told me I needed a mission statement, I began working on it. Part of my reasoning is that Jesus often declared His purpose, and since I’m following Him, I need to do the same. In one of His declarations He says, “. . . for the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.” (Luke 19:10)

Forming a mission statement must answer that big question of why am I here, but also consider my skills, abilities, opportunities and experiences. It asks where do I go from here, and how will I get there. Also, I need to understand God’s purpose for giving me new life; what does He want done with it?

Jesus had all this covered. John 13:3-5 says, “Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was going to God, rose from supper and laid aside His garments, took a towel and girded Himself. After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded.

Jesus knew that God gave Him that goal to seek and save the lost, but also knew that His Father supplies all resources needed to reach that goal. Jesus knew where He came from and where He was going. Armed with this “mission,” He could serve others toward that end. Washing the disciples’ feet was part of the teaching process that prepared these men for their mission.

At first, my mission statement outlined things I thought I should do. Too broad. Then I began formulating it around my spiritual gifts. Too narrow. I also noticed that using it to determine what I should be doing next produced some major conflicts. The needs at hand didn’t always fit the formula in my statement. Finally, I came up with this one (with thanks to author, Angela Hunt): Love God and obey Him.

This mission statement works for several reasons. First, it requires me to focus on the Lord rather than any agenda, pressing needs, or whatever else is happening. When my mission is to love Him, then all relationship issues and priorities fall into place as well.

Of course the part about obeying Him means that I must pay attention. In each situation, He will direct my course of action if I ask Him. I must search for answers in His Word, listen to the quiet voice of His Spirit, and heed the advice and examples of godly people in my life. Otherwise, I will quickly slide away from this mission statement.

Today’s devotional reading tells of a mountain climbing expedition where the participants were told to take basic necessities only. One person ignored that and loaded up with extra stuff. As the climb progressed, he found he had to ditch the extras and wound up carrying only the basics.

This is what my mission statement does for me; it makes me stick to the basics. Life is so complicated and filled thousands of choices. Without any guidelines (and with my attention span), I could be all over the map, and some days I am. However, this mission statement to love and obey God keeps pulling me back to those basics. Life has become simpler in many ways, yet having this as my mission does not make it narrow. God always has plans and directions for me that I otherwise would never have imagined by myself, and following Him makes my life a grand adventure.

1 comment:

Marco, Kristin, Ellie, Joel de Andrade said...

Thank you for sharing! It has given me clarity as I reflect on mine.