March 26, 2009

The Importance of Prepositions

Prepositions are like ants at a picnic. Anything an ant can be in relation to the food is a preposition, for example: in the food, around the food, below the food, and so on. Mistakes in the use of a preposition can, at least inspire humor and, at most, greatly confuse the intended reader.

In the Bible, prepositions are important particularly when they refer back to something previously written. Unless these prepositions are considered, interpretation could be difficult or in error. I’ve heard people quote some verses to encourage a person who is suffering, but the verse is taken out of context and misses the meat of the encouragement.

For instance, someone might quote “For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us” (Romans 8:18) to encourage a suffering person’s mind away from his situation. However, the preposition “for” points back to the reason that this statement can be made. It is found in the two verses prior, and says:
The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together. (Romans 8:16-17)
By including the context of verse 18, I understand what lies ahead and am given a description of what I can expect in the future. I know what “glory” is about and with that understanding am given greater comfort.

Here is another example that says a similar thing:
Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal. (2 Corinthians 4:16-18)
It is comforting to know that my inner self is being renewed and that the afflictions I suffer are not lasting long compared to eternity, but verse 14-15 give the foundation for that understanding. It is the bones of the reason for not losing heart.
. . . knowing that He who raised up the Lord Jesus will also raise us up with Jesus, and will present us with you. For all things are for your sakes, that grace, having spread through the many, may cause thanksgiving to abound to the glory of God.
Someday I will be raised up with Christ and glorified with Him. Whatever happens to me now, positive or negative, pleasant or not pleasant, happens for my sake and toward that end. The trials of life are nothing compared to the glory of Christ that God is using to form in me. I can look to the resurrection as my hope. I can also remember that thanksgiving is important and will bless God but also bless me.

Besides being encouraged by reading these things, I am reminded of the importance of words. Regarding Scripture, Jesus said that even the smallest strokes of each word were important. Every day, I see my God in details. I am certain that each word contributes to the whole of what He says to us. Also, the last few verses in the Bible stress the importance of not taking away “from the words of the book . . .” (Revelation 22:19)

While some translations seem unconcerned about editing, and many people interpret Scripture without considering context, each word is in the Bible for a reason. Because they point readers to connections, this includes each one of the prepositions.

No comments: