March 22, 2009

Imitation

If someone says, “Imitate me,” it is generally about what they are doing, yet sometimes I can’t do it. I cannot stand on my head, no matter how much someone does it in front of me. Neither can I sing soprano, nor hit a home run. Imitation might be the sincerest form of flattery, yet if flatter is up to me, many people will never get it. I cannot do everything the same way as others.

In church seminars and instruction about sharing our faith, we are usually taught a method or a way of saying it, an imitation. One program I took was good, but it was rote and doesn’t fit every situation.

This morning my devotional reading is about imitation and was based on one verse at the beginning of a chapter, “Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.” The chapter breaks were not part of the original texts, only put in to make it easier to find things. However, when I start at verse one, I tend to read forward. In this case, I think the break came too soon. The last line of this passage belongs with the verse before it, so I read backwards.
Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense, either to the Jews or to the Greeks or to the church of God, just as I also please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved. Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ. (1 Corinthians 10:31-11:1)
What delights me about this is that imitation is not about doing what other people do. It is more about imitating their attitude. With Christ as my example, I cannot do exactly what He did (different culture, different situations), but I can have His attitudes.

From these verses and the rest of the New Testament, the main motivating force in His life is obvious. Jesus put the glory of God at the very top of His priority list. He lived to display the wonder of God, the glory of His Father. Because He lives in me, I can do that. I can say no to my own “profit” and yes to all that will make Him known. This is a choice and by the power of the Holy Spirit, I can make that choice.

Jesus also determined not to offend people by being self-focused. His concern was for the salvation of others. He went out of His way to point them in that direction. He even gave His life that it might happen. I can have that same self-sacrificial attitude. It is a choice.

The reading brings out several other characteristics of Jesus as He shared truth with others. First, He was available. At times He left the crowds to pray, but He was most always among the people, ready to serve their needs. Even though it goes against my introvert nature, I can do that too. This also is a choice.

Further, Jesus was not partial. Common people, lepers, prostitutes, and tax collectors were no different to Him than a Roman centurion, or the wealthy. In the mind of God, everyone has needs, and Jesus met those needs whenever anyone was open to His help. This He asks of me, and I can have the same attitude of impartiality.

Jesus was also sensitive to the pain of others. Over and over, He showed His concern, healing and helping people in pain and sorrow. A cup of cold water or a hug can go a long way in touching a person’s life. I can do these things too.

To bring this full circle, because Jesus put the glory of God first, He made sure those who put their faith in Him made a public declaration of that faith. The blind man in John 9 and the Samaritan leper of Luke 17 told others what He had done in their lives, thus bringing God glory.

The example of Christ is not just about what He did. I cannot heal people or raise the dead, but I can care about them with the love of Christ. I can be willing to do anything God asks of me, just as Jesus was willing to do whatever His Father wanted. It begins with imitating the desire of the Son to make praise for His Father the main priority of His life.

No comments: