March 3, 2009

His Goal = my goal

When looking for a house to rent in the San Fernando Valley, we were directed to a bungalow that was advertised as “spacious and clean.” We had moved many times so the “clean” part was particularly appealing.

When we got there, the outside looked wonderful. It was a big, sprawling house with a nice yard and lots of trees. Inside was another story. I will only describe the oven. It had at least 1/4" of guck everywhere. The rest of the house matched that stove. I remarked that I’d not make a herd of cattle live in that house.

Yet when I battle my internal sinful attitudes, I think of that house. I can look good on the outside too, but God knows the heart. He is really picky about clean, much pickier than I am. Yet as tough as it is to keep everything pure and right in my heart and mind, I’d not have it any other way. Imagine serving a God that didn’t care about our yucky stuff!

I know that some Christians would think that no one knows or can tell what goes on inside another person’s head, so why work so hard? Can’t I nurture a grudge for a little while? Or be angry with someone who disagrees with me? As long as it doesn’t come out, isn’t that okay?

Those are only two examples. Every person, including believers, can come up with dozens more. My mind is a battlefield. God wants clear thinking and purity, and my enemy wants mud and guck — in multiplied layers.

This morning I read a couple of beloved verses and am again encouraged to keep fighting negative and ungodly notions, and to keep my eyes on Jesus so I can win over what a friend calls “stinkin’ thinkin’.”
Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure. (1 John 3:2-3)
My hope and goal in life is to be like Jesus. That ties totally with God’s goal for me. It fits all the criteria for a good goal in that it is measurable and achievable. I know that I am not there yet, but God promises that one day I will be, so that promise encourages me to win all battles for godly living, even those that no one can see. Purify myself, no matter what others see.

Paul knew about these problems. Maybe he fought the same battles. He addressed them in several ways. One passage says:
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. (Philippians 4:6-8)
I used to think that the “anxious for nothing” part was about the human tendency to worry about things that are not in our control, but after a battle within my thoughts, I can see that God is asking me not to be anxious about that either. Instead, I am to bring these problems to Him as well as my worries. When I tell Him my struggles, He not only forgives any sin, but cleanses my heart and gives me peace, a peace that does not make sense. Shouldn’t I still feel guilty or something? Shouldn’t I still be fighting and struggling?

No, the peace of God is a guard against all that, including the worry that I will never win (He says I will) and the guilt over the times that I have gone under. He tells me to focus my thoughts on good things, to meditate on things for which I can offer praise.

There are huge practical applications to this. A few months ago God showed me that He desires a simplicity of mind, not a simple mind in the sense we would think, but a mind that is free of clutter. With a generous smattering of ADHD, I’m amazed at what a clutter-free mind feels like. I’m able to solve problems, tackle chores, get more done, and be totally relaxed about interruptions. The more of my inner life that I bring to God for a good scrub, the more peace and energy I enjoy.

God is amazing. Following Jesus Christ is rewarding. Being totally like Him is still beyond my imagination, yet God says it will happen one day — and I can hardly wait.

No comments: