March 12, 2009

Be Reconciled

A woman in a television show kept returning to her abusive husband. After each time he beat her, he charmed her into a reconciliation, making promises that he did not keep. I still see her mashed and bleeding face as she closed the door on those who wanted to help her out of this terrible abuse.

It was only a show, but this happens over and over in real life. This isn’t the place, nor do I have the expertise to write about such inhumane treatment, however, I would like to say something about genuine reconciliation. It does not mean coming back to a relationship of abuse.

Reconciliation is actually a wonderful word. It means a changed relationship for the better between persons or groups who formerly were at enmity with each other. The Bible encourages reconciliation between estranged people and spouses, but this term most often refers to the new relationship between God and humanity made possible by Christ’s redemptive work. The key part of this definition is that things are “changed” when genuine reconciliation occurs.

In fact, this word is totally inappropriate when one of the estranged persons consents to any abuse by the other. God didn’t save me so He could make harsh demands and push me around. Genuine reconciliation is about both sides wanting the very best for one another. It is so good, that the person who is genuinely reconciled to God wants others to have that same relationship. An abused person would not wish their life on anyone. Paul wrote about how this works.
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation, that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation. Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God. For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. (2 Corinthians 5:17-21)
As my devotional book says, we are an extension of the ministry that God the Father gave to His Son. Jesus said, “As You have sent me into the world, I have also sent them into the world” (John 17:18).

An “ambassador” is someone living in another country for the purpose of representing their homeland to that country. Jesus commits to me “the word of reconciliation” but ambassadors are more than messengers. I and the life I live represents the Sovereign God who sent me.

In the Roman Empire, there were two kinds of provinces, the senatorial and the imperial. The senatorial provinces were generally friendly to Rome, submitted to Roman rule and under the control of the Senate. The imperial provinces were acquired later and were not as friendly, and under the authority of the emperor himself. To these areas, the emperor sent ambassadors to govern and maintain peace.

This sheds more light on the role of a Christian ambassador. I have been called by my King to serve as an ambassador in a world that is in rebellion against Him. He has given me a message of peace and reconciliation and I am to implore people to be reconciled to God.

In light of what Paul wrote, I often feel as if I’m not doing my job. Part of that is that I tend to gauge my success by the responses of those who hear the message. These days, most seem to lack any interest in spiritual things. They may want God to help them with some things, but reject the idea that they must be reconciled to Him and they do not want their lives to change.

Thinking of this in terms of the abused woman in the television show, far too often sinful people seem to prefer the abuse of sin. To them, it is a security that they know. Even with the bruises and pain of sin’s consequences, sticking with that lifestyle is preferable in their minds to a relationship with God.

From my side of things, I cannot imagine how knowing God can seem even more frightening than sin and its consequences, yet He tells me that I must somehow take the hand of those caught in the abuse of sin and urge them toward the freedom of reconciliation and peace with Him.

No comments: