February 12, 2009

Unexpected rewards of discipline

Black and white people like myself will say you cannot be partly pregnant; you are or you are not. It is the same with sin. Small or large, when I sin, I am a sinner.

A friend argues that often we must select between two choices, neither of which is sin. For instance, she says she can read a book or play with her son. No one would call either of these choices sinful activities. I agree on that, but God looks at the heart. What does He think?

I used to say that I could do my housework to avoid reading my Bible, and I could read my Bible to avoid doing my housework. Is this mere preference? Or is the Holy Spirit speaking about one thing and my contrary human nature wanting something else?

Years ago at a conference, I sat at the same lunch table as former missionary, author and Christian speaker, Elizabeth Elliot. Someone asked her how she managed her time. She said, “Do the next thing. You always know what it is.”

As I endeavor to walk with Christ, my conscience becomes sharper and more aware of the next thing. I’m also increasingly aware of how my fleshy, sinful nature resists what the Spirit is telling me. Yesterday, the next thing was prayer, and I wanted to work on a project. The next thing was to do the dishes, and I wanted to eat chocolate. Sometimes the next thing wins, but when it doesn’t, I am the loser for it. God knows how to govern and direct my life.

That being said, when two choices come up, neither of them sinful, I believe God has a preference, even a reason for His preference. If I am paying attention, I will know which choice He wants. I will also be aware that my flesh will resist in some way. Paul wrote:
Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. (Galatians 5:16-17)
This brings me to the verse in today’s devotions. It says, “Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us” (Hebrews 12:1).

I’m thinking about those words, “lay aside every weight” along with my experiences over the last few weeks. I’m trying to “do the next think” in regard to my eating habits. I want to drop some weight this year, and so far have lost about 1/4 of my goal. Dropping this weight is easier than keeping it off. I have learned that listening to the Spirit’s voice is really important. He says that I need to get up and move, but my contrary flesh tells me that I need some munchies. He tells me to lay aside this weight (literally) because it is a snare to my spiritual life, and I didn’t realize it until I started paying attention.

As I say no to the flesh in this one area of life, I’m noticing that it is much easier in other areas, some of which I never realized were even a problem. In other words, eating properly and denying the weight of my “I wants” relative to the pantry, is making me spiritually sharper, more aware of the Lord. I’m also talking to God more spontaneously and am more easily full of worship and joy. Of course, I also feel better and have more energy. This is directly related to Paul’s testimony in 1 Corinthians 9:27, “But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.”

Paul knew that seemingly normal activities like eating could muddle his relationship with the Lord, even render useless his value in God’s service. The weight in Hebrews 12:1 means anything that hinders progress in my spiritual life. It might not be overt sin. It might simply be having an extra slice of toast when I know I should not. This weight of doing what I feel like instead of paying attention is supposed to be laid aside. Few would call many of those choices sin, but I know better.

No comments: