February 13, 2009

Stay close to His heart

Her husband was at war. The king summoned her to his bedroom. She went, whether willingly or out of fear we are not told. She became pregnant. The king arranged to have her husband moved to the front lines of battle where he was killed, then the king married her.

A modern movie? No, it is a story from the life of King David of Israel, whom God calls a man after His own heart. What? After doing this terrible thing, how can that be?

David was no god, but a man. The Bible clearly teaches that all men are sinners, and this story shows that David was no different in that respect. He gave in to selfishness and made the wrong choices.

Years ago a pastor told me, “Everyone makes mistakes. It is what you do with your mistakes that make a difference.” This is where David showed that his heart was God’s. Even though David chooses sin, he also hates sin and confesses it to God. It took him awhile to deal with it before God, (am I any different?) but eventually he said this:
For I acknowledge my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. Against You, You only, have I sinned, and done this evil in Your sight — that You may be found just when You speak, and blameless when You judge (Psalm 51:3-4).
David could not make things right with this woman’s husband; it was too late for that. We are not told if he asked the forgiveness of this new wife, but the child she bore died and David “comforted his wife.” Whatever her reasons, she stayed with him and bore him another son, the heir who became the next king.

To be a person after God’s heart isn’t about being perfect, for no one is perfect. However, it is about thinking the same way as God thinks about my sin. The devotional reading today is so true. I rewrite it here to make it personal.
If I want to have a decreasing frequency of sin in my life and an increasing amount of spiritual growth, I must acknowledge my responsibility. I cannot blame my circumstances, my husband, my friends or family, other Christians, the people I work with or who work for me, or my pastor. I cannot even blame the devil. My sin is my fault. While the world’s system can contribute to the problem, sin ultimately occurs as an act of the will—and I am responsible for it.
He goes on to say that one of the best examples of someone who learned how to take responsibility was the prodigal son. When he returned home to his loving father, he said, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight, and am no longer worthy to be called your son” (Luke 15:21). He was even willing to be treated as a humble laborer because he knew he didn’t deserve anything (v. 19).

Having this right attitude toward sin, confessing it, and dropping all excuses and pride is the only appropriate response when I mess up and make sinful choices, and the only response that can expect the forgiveness and cleansing that God promises. How amazing!

No comments: