February 5, 2009

Producing fruit

The crab apple in our farm yard was overgrown and unproductive so we decided to prune it. We removed all dead branches. Then we removed those that rubbed on other branches or were otherwise in odd places. We also trimmed a few more of those inner branches so “a bird could fly through it” and then we waited.

The first year wasn’t hopeful, but the second spring brought a dazzling display of flowers. By fall, we had lots of crab apples. The tree was again producing fruit.

John 15 is one of my favorite passages. My verse for this year is from this chapter. Today, I am again reading it, and being reminded once again the purpose of fruitfulness. “By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples” (John 15:8).

Like the crab apple, no one would know what kind of person I am if I didn’t bear the fruit of the Holy Spirit. This identifies me as a branch, a disciple of Christ. However, that is not the main reason He produces love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control through me. The Spirit does it so that the invisible God is seen and glorified.

When I am around a fruit-producing Christian, I sense the presence of the Lord. My heart is warmed, delighted and encouraged. The fruit of the Spirit is often elevated as grand traits that are part of the human ability to be good, but when properly described and biblically understood, there is no way I could be like this apart from the Holy Spirit.

For instance, the love here is not human affection or a do-good love. It is agape, that love that is unconditional and given apart from any deservedness or reward. Agape can love enemies and persevere long after it is appreciated.

Another for instance is self-control. This is not a bite the bullet kind of determination but the sinful and selfish self under the control of the Holy Spirit so that the person who is bearing fruit is almost unaware that they are doing it because they are not thinking about themselves at all.

The first part of John 15 says that those who bear fruit will be pruned so they will bear more. That means God will use the events of life and the power of His Word to lop off the selfishness that is in me. He cannot be glorified as He deserves if I have any desire to have some of that glory for myself.

This chapter says that this kind of fruit only happens when God’s people abide in Him and obey Him. I need to stay close to Jesus and focus on Him. I need to listen to Him and rely on Him for everything that I do and say. This is a spiritual discipline and a necessity, but He is faithful. When I abide, He produces that fruit that is so important.

John 15 also says that the fruit of an abiding Christian will last forever. It has eternal value and gives significance to my life, even though I am merely the bucket that carries it where God wants it used.

Most of all, and more important than all, the fruit produced by a branch that abides in the vine is fruit that shows others what God is like, and by doing that, it glorifies God.

No comments: