February 7, 2009

Eating, drinking, and idols

I had 2500 pictures of Elvis Presley when I was a teenager. No doubt I idolized this singer, as did many others, yet idolatry today isn’t always as easy to discern as it was in Bible times. Back then, the idol worshipers had temples and statues and offered sacrifices to their idols. Today, if an idol can be described as something exalted or depended upon or venerated beyond reason, then it could be anything from entertainers to politicians to hard cash.

When the New Testament was written, one activity in idol worship was the offering of meat to an idol. Of course the idol could not consume the meat, so the worshipers did. If they invited their friends, everyone was served this meat that had been offered to idols.

Christians were not sure what to do about that. Do they eat it; or not? Paul wrote the church at Corinth and told them that idols were nothing. The real issue was the demonic forces at work in the lives of those involved. Eating the meat didn’t mean anything in the spiritual lives of Christians as long as they didn’t get tangled up in the demonic side of things. However, even though they were free to eat the meat, they needed to be careful. Their actions were supposed to edify themselves and others, and they were supposed to glorify God in all that they did. He said to them:
Eat whatever is sold in the meat market, asking no questions for conscience’ sake; for “the earth is the Lord’s, and all its fullness.” If any of those who do not believe invites you to dinner, and you desire to go, eat whatever is set before you, asking no question for conscience’ sake. But if anyone says to you, “This was offered to idols,” do not eat it for the sake of the one who told you, and for conscience’ sake; for “the earth is the Lord’s, and all its fullness.” “Conscience,” I say, not your own, but that of the other. For why is my liberty judged by another man’s conscience? But if I partake with thanks, why am I evil spoken of for the food over which I give thanks? Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. (1 Corinthians 10:25-31)
When it comes to today’s idolatry, does this have any application? Suppose my neighbor spends half a year offering his hard work to earn enough to purchase a new hot tub. This hot tub is his dream and clearly an object of veneration (at least until it breaks down). He invites us over to soak in the tub. Do we go? Paul says go, as long as he isn’t flaunting the thing as an object of worship.

I cannot imagine anyone saying, “This hot tub is my god” but it could happen. More likely in cases like this, the person who does not worship God has no idea that they are worshiping something.

This is likely different for those who put movie stars, hockey players, politicians, and other ‘celebrities’ on a pedestal. They might even say, “My idol is. . . .” just as I did about Elvis. Then what? Could I freely go to a dinner that raised anyone to idol status? Could I eat with those who worshiped that person as their idol?

Paul doesn’t talk about this kind of idolatry, but he does say that whatever I do, eating, drinking, or anything else, should be done to glorify God. If that is the desire of my heart, then I will know what to do should I be invited to something like that. The God of my heart will guide me in each situation.

According to some interpretations of biblical prophecies, one day a person called the Antichrist will rise up to rule on a global scale. This person will be idolized, even to a god-status. Should that be a correct interpretation (and not symbolic as others think), then my attitude and actions toward idols will be tested as never before, and this time passing the test is far more important than wondering about hot tubs or celebrity dinners. Paul’s words to practice ways of glorifying God in all that I do now will better equip me to stand against any greater test in the future.

2 comments:

Elsie Montgomery said...

Someone left a long comment about the lifestyle of Elvis Presley, which is not what this blog is about, so I deleted it.

However, the article (more that than a comment) does show that idols are never worth the attention that they receive, and are misleading and even evil in some way or another.

As 1 John 5:21 says, "Little children, keep yourselves from idols."

Anonymous said...

Inspirational. Thank you!