January 14, 2009

There’s more than one way to be sick

Whenever I get ill, which doesn’t happen often, I realize that I am a lousy servant. Yesterday and this morning I’m a bit light-headed and weak. This is typical; we call it our annual “brush” with the flu.

A few years ago, my husband made the announcement that our family did not get the flu. After that, neither ourselves nor our children had any large battles with this illness, even when it was “going around.” The last time I recall having anything major was the year we cared for my parents, 1995. As caregivers, we had to get flu shots (for the first time) and both of us got the flu that year. Other than that, each flu season we have a day or two of mild symptoms where it seems the flu hits us, but without much force.

That happened to me yesterday, but far worse than being dizzy and not wanting to eat is the conviction that I feel about being a lousy servant. Last night my husband served me. I enjoyed it, but at the same time felt guilty. When I need to do the same thing and serve others, I’m not so gracious and willing. I’m a lousy servant. I’m always thinking that I have other things to do, or wishing the needy person would get better so I could get on with it. That is so selfish.

Of course my devotional reading for today adds to the pinch. It says this:
Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. (Philippians 2:5-7)
Jesus is God in human flesh and humanly speaking has every right to lord it over us. He didn’t do that but instead became a bondservant or bond slave, doing exactly what His Father told Him. With the attitude of a slave, He eventually died for every person, paying the penalty for sin of even those who hated Him.

Yikes. Like Jesus, my husband hovers over me with tender care, makes me something to eat, brings me whatever I ask for, and is quick to appear when I call. His face shows none of the impatience that I often feel when I need to do the same thing for him or anyone else.

To make matters worse, I always tell people that being sick or out of commission for a few days is a good opportunity to find out more of what God wants us to know. Instead of being busy and not as quick to hear, illness makes us quiet and more apt to listen.

So guess what? Today He tells me to take a large helping of my own prescription and listen up. I am selfish when I feel sick, but just as bad when I am well. This ‘illness’ is far worse than the flu, mild or severe.

Whether my husband gets his brush with the flu or not, I need to confess my selfishness and let the Lord fill me up with a large dose of His way of thinking. Apart from the mind of Christ, I might feel just fine physically, but without Him, I am actually much sicker than I think.

No comments: