January 24, 2009

Thankfulness includes people

For the past few weeks I’ve been keeping a gratitude journal. Each night I write (in point form) those things for which I am thankful. After reading the devotional verses and thoughts from Truth for Today this morning, I’m afraid to go back and look at my journal entries.

The reading didn’t outright say it, but I have the distinct impression that whatever a person is thankful for says much about the condition of their spirit before God.

Here is the Scripture passage for today:
I thank my God upon every remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine making request for you all with joy, for your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ; just as it is right for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart, inasmuch as both in my chains and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel, you all are partakers with me of grace. (Philippians 1:3-7)
Paul was thankful for the people he worked with, had fellowship with, including those he knew had made only an initial commitment to Jesus Christ. He was also thankful for those who prayed for him, and for all who were members of the family of God by grace. There is no mention here, or elsewhere in the Bible, that he ever thanked God for good food, a nice home, or any material things. Paul was thankful for what lasts forever, including the grace of God and the souls of people. I’m not sure my list has the same priorities.

The reading today convicts me too. I’ve rewritten it in a personalized way, which is how God speaks to me using these words.
A thankful heart is essential for true spiritual service. If I am trying to serve the Lord without gratitude in my heart for what He’s done for me, then I am serving in the flesh with improper motives. When I am thankful, I realize that God has a cause for everything that happens, so I will not grumble. But if I am serving externally, legalistically, or ritualistically I will not find very many things to appreciate because I am not grateful for the things God has already done for me.

Do I have a thankful heart? Am I overwhelmed with thanksgiving for what God has done? If I am, then I will be free from bitterness or resentment toward God or anyone else.

I have much to be thankful for, but I am aware that the devil often tempts me by saying, “You deserve better than that. . . .” When he does, I must make sure that I remember how much God has done, including putting me into His family who also serve Him and making them part of my life and ministry.
I know that God wants me to be thankful for the temporary stuff too, but my list needs to reflect what I know about eternity. If my focus is only on the here and now, it could mean that I’m becoming self-indulgent about the blessings and need to get my priorities back in line with His.

No comments: