January 8, 2009

Love who?

When I read Matthew 5:44-48 this morning, my first thought was, I don’t have any enemies, at least not personal enemies. Many oppose what I believe, but they are enemies of the gospel, not me personally.

However, after checking the dictionary, I am reminded that an enemy doesn’t have to be someone waiting around the corner with a weapon and I’m the target. It can be a person who is antagonistic toward me, who would like to overthrow, overcome, or confound me. Anyone who is hostile in any way is my enemy.

At first I thought this isn’t about who is right and who is wrong, but after rereading it, Jesus definitely puts people into two categories. This is what He said:
But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect. (Matthew 5:44-48)
In our society, most people do not curse others except if they are cut off in traffic and that is not personal. Further, persecution is considered a “hate crime” so it doesn’t happen much where I live. I’m not aware of currently being viciously hated, but have been at times in the past. I’ve also been “used.” None of this is pleasant.

I may never experience all of these tests, but if I do, Jesus is clear about the way that I should respond; I’m supposed to be like my Father. God’s ‘common grace’ extends to all, even to those considered ‘evil’ and unjust. Everyone experiences the blessings of life. In other words, He does not handpick the recipients of sunshine and rain.

Hate is a strong word, but biblically it can range from seething rage to self-focused indifference. In the examples Jesus gives, hate is akin to playing favorites with my generosity and avoiding people I don’t want to talk to. My Father is not like that.

I also note that Jesus was talking to religious people who loved their friends and the people who agreed with them, but had no love at all for those who opposed them, either religiously or politically. They hated sinners, tax collectors, the Romans, anyone other than those in their circle. Jesus said even sinners could do that. Those who claim to follow God should rise above that kind of behavior.

The last line, verse 48, has been called the straw that breaks a law-keepers back. No one can be perfect like God. One commentary says that God cannot lower His standard either, or He would compromise His own perfection of righteousness. Instead, Christ meets this standard on our behalf.

Another commentary says that as one of His disciples, I am therefore to be perfect — or complete, which doesn’t mean “degrees of excellence, but the kind of excellence which was to distinguish His disciples and characterize His kingdom.” I’m not sure I understand what that means.

This commentator also suggests that such perfection is future because Jesus refers to my “Father which is in heaven.” He is my Divine Model but I cannot be totally like Him until I am with Him and my redemption is complete.

Both commentaries seem true to me. I cannot be perfect, but one day I will. In the meantime, this standard is set for me, and in Christ, I can love my enemies. It may not be as perfectly as God does, but can be far more than what I am doing. Loving others is always a matter of obedience (certainly not feelings) anyway, because the word used here is “agape” — the love that is about who God is (and who I am), not about the deservedness (or not) of those loved. This love is action that supports and encourages someone’s eternal well-being.

Yet agape love also includes the simple things, like saying hello and being polite, and being as kind and generous to those who oppose me as I am to those who agree with me. Instead of being quick to turn away from those who are not my favorites, and quick to be annoyed with anyone who doesn’t like my view of things, I need to stop that nonsense and let Christ enable me to follow the lead of my Father.

No comments: