January 26, 2009

It sounds so simple . . .

The love of Christ is not the same as even the strongest human love. He described it Himself when He prayed and said this about us, “I have loved them as You have loved Me” (John 17:23). Jesus loves us as God loves Him, which has to be the purest and strongest love.

Not only that, His love is totally selfless; we may not give much back, but still loves us. His love also has nothing to do with our worth; He loves us because it is His nature to love.

When Paul wrote to the church at Corinth, the people were having trouble staying on track. Much of what they did was fleshy or carnal (selfish), yet he said to them, “I will very gladly spend and be spent for your souls; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I am loved” (2 Corinthians 12:15). This is the love of Christ.

Even though Paul was working and praying continually for spiritual growth in the lives of the people in this church, they didn’t seem to appreciate him. They were gifted, yet divided. They fought over who had the best gifts, who was following the best leader, and disagreed about a host of other things. If I had been there, I would likely have taken pot shots at some of them and complained about the rest.

Not Paul. His ministry toward them was for them, not for himself. He didn’t do it for what he could get out of it. Again, this is the love of Christ.

I particularly appreciate what the author of my devotional has to say about this verse. I’ve met this man and sat under the power of his preaching. I’ve also observed the way people in his church reserve front row seats to hear what he has to say and witnessed his humility. I see it again in what he wrote:
There have been times in my ministry as a pastor that I’ve wondered if anyone is listening to what I’m teaching. Do people really appreciate me or the teaching of the Word? It’s easy to fall into that kind of woe–is–me complex.
I understand this. When I first read this verse (and I remember it clearly), it offered me encouragement and direction. It told me that this is how I must feel. Even if those that I cared for did not respond, or were not thankful, I still must love and care for them. To me, this was wonderful and set me free from being worried about responses.

Yet when I read it today, I am convicted. Perhaps I’ve fallen into a trap that the devotional reading describes, that of looking at what I do as something I get, rather than something I give, but regardless of the cause, I find myself complaining rather than being thankful. Too often I feel fearful about acceptance rather than gladly doing as God asks without concern for the results.

Paul says that even if the people hated him, he would still love them. That means living a life filled with the Holy Spirit who can shed abroad in my heart the love of Christ. This love does not depend on responses. It is here for me, as close as that first step needed to get it flowing.

The Bible is clear that I need to confess my sin and be forgiven and cleansed (1 John 1:9). Then I must quit making excuses, quit complaining, and simply make choices that deny myself and do good things for others.

No comments: