January 22, 2009

All for You

Worship is more than singing hymns and verbally adoring God. A sermon series of eight messages on this topic shows me that my idea of worship is very limited. In fact, that series deeply convicts me. Not only do I fall short in this area, but parts of the sermon make me question my faith. If I love God as I claim, I ought to show it much more than I do. Being a Christian means that worship is not merely about Sunday but about every part of life.

When Jesus came, He blasted the religious system of His day. Worship had become a list of rules rather than a way of life from the heart. Instead of loving and serving God, the leaders were more interested in power and impressing people. Jesus plainly told them that this was sin.

When the church was formed, Paul points to the heart of worship also. He wrote: “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God” (Romans 12:1-2).

Worship involves the entire person, and all the time. Worship is giving myself to Him entirely. He is not interested in my old self though, but the self He wants is that cleaned up, holy and new creation that has been washed by the blood of Christ. I cannot serve God with my sinful old nature (the flesh). He wants service from the alive part of me, the new life that I have in Christ, not the old dead me that just wants to serve myself.

Yet dead as it is, that old nature pops up all the time, or tries to, even in ‘worship’ services. I am at church and singing. A notion runs through my head that I would appear more pious if I raised my hands, or shut my eyes. I asked a pastor once about this. He told me that birds may fly over my head, but I don’t have to let them build a nest in my hair. The Holy Spirit shows me where that bird comes from and that I must shoo it away. Worship is about God, not about me.

Worship is also thinking like God thinks, not letting my mind be conformed to the way the world understands and views things. That is not easy. The world appeals to the flesh in every television commercial, store display and advertisement. The world appeals to the flesh by chanting “I demand my rights” and “You deserve the best.” Sometimes subtle, sometimes blatant, the world is a powerful pull.

People I know also push and pull on my mind. My peers sometimes seem to be drawing me away from God, wanting me to go along with them in the latest craze, or fad, or idea. I am continually tempted by things that will supposedly make me look good in the eyes of my peers, or be accepted by them, yet the Holy Spirit shows me these things are not part of the will of God.

All this to say that being a godly person who is devoted to serve God and Him alone is, in itself, worship. Doing His will from the heart, giving it my all, loving Him more than the praises of people, renewing my mind in His Word, discerning what is from God and what is not, seeking eternal good rather than temporary benefits, all of these things are included in what it means to worship the true and living God.

How is this practical? I’m tired today. I need discernment to know if resting my body is His idea or I just want to pamper myself. One would be worship, the other self-indulgence.

I’ve a long to-do list today. What comes first? What is most important to the Lord? Or do I go down that list and select what most appeals to me? One is worship, the other self-indulgence.

Questions like these are actually worship too, because they acknowledge that God is God. I should ask Him about everything, and He is pleased when I do. By asking, I am affirming that He has the right, the power, and the wisdom to govern my life.

When I get together with other Christians on a Sunday morning, we bring with us our worship experiences of the week. The richer my time with Him today, in what seems like the mundane things of life (really, nothing is mundane if Jesus is here), the richer will be that time of corporate worship. If I can worship God as I wash dishes, clean the house, answer the telephone, write email, prepare lesson material, and so on, then standing or kneeling before Him with dozens more who love Him will be even sweeter.

God, help me keep my heart right and my focus on You all of this day. Help me to know Your will as I give all of myself and all of my tasks to You. Help me also to think Your thoughts and be sensitive to Your Spirit as You lead me through whatever You put before me today. Amen.

No comments: