December 27, 2008

Faith not sight

My mother told me that my father was bringing me a pony. I believed her, long before the pony was unloaded from Dad’s truck and became a reality.

My brother told me his friends were coming for dinner. I believed him, long before dinner was cooked, the table set, and his friends walked in the door.

If I were on the top floor of my home and my husband told me we needed to get out because the basement was on fire, I would be out the door, even if I could not see flames or smell smoke.

I just set up a new sewing machine. Would it start running when I plugged it in and turned on the switch? The manual said it would, and I trusted the manual, plugged it in, turned on the switch and it started running.

The pony seemed impossible; the friends for dinner more likely, yet I believed in them not because of their probability but because my mother and my brother were trustworthy and reliable. They said it would happen and that was enough.

The fire (may it never happen) I would not have to see either. If someone I trust tells me there is a fire in my house, I will act on their word because the threat would motivate me, but also because I believe what they say.

My sewing machine is made by a reputable company. The power outlet has worked for other pieces of equipment requiring electricity. I trust both the word of company and my electric source before I tested them because both had proven themselves in the past.

Jesus, the Son of God, said, “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.”

Seems impossible. Everyone dies. I cannot see that eternal life. But faith isn’t about probability or likelihood; it is about who said it. Is He trustworthy? Is He reliable? The real question, the legitimate question to ask concerning faith is, “Would the God who reveals Himself in the Bible and in Jesus Christ lie to me?”

I’m convinced that He would not and does not, and for that reason, as 2 Corinthians 5:7 says, I “walk by faith, not by sight.

No comments: