November 6, 2008

Mercy is an action word

In Bible times, names have more significance about the person’s character and life than they do these days. For instance, one of the Old Testament prophets has a name that means “Who is like the Lord?” and that prophet used a bit of a word play when he finished writing his prophetic book. Near the end, he asks this question, obviously based on his name:
Who is a God like You, pardoning iniquity and passing over the transgression of the remnant of His heritage? He does not retain His anger forever, because He delights in mercy. He will again have compassion on us, and will subdue our iniquities. You will cast all our sins into the depths of the sea. (Micah 7:18-19)
Micah’s play on words is an important question. Who indeed is like God? The idols and gods of those days could hardly be described as merciful, nor were the people. Mercy was not considered a particularly ideal virtue. Compared to God, everyone fell short.

Mercy means “compassion for the miserable” and is the aspect of God’s love that causes Him to help those in misery. It goes hand in hand with grace, which is the aspect of His love that moves Him to forgive the guilty.

I’m not often in misery, but when I am, it is either because I’ve sinned and feel deep conviction and sorrow, or I’ve been hit with circumstances that are difficult and sad.

God shows compassion toward me when I sin, but not because I deserve it. I should face His justice and eternal damnation, but instead, God offers the sacrifice of Jesus Christ to take the penalty for my sin. However, God’s mercy on sinners extends beyond withholding punishment. Instead of merely keeping me out of hell, mercy also offers forgiveness and eternal life.

As His believing child, God also shows mercy by actively helping me when I am miserable due to circumstances. Last month I was fearful about the pain of impending dental surgery and told 1-2 people. They prayed. I had hardly any pain and am amazed at the goodness of God. That is His mercy in my circumstances.

In thinking how my misery calls forth God’s mercy, I remember when my children were small and suffered from sore throats, runny noses, congestion, and assorted aches and pains. All they could do was throw their little arms around my neck and cry. As a parent, that evokes pity. I sat up at night trying to relieve their distress in any way I could because their misery called forth my mercy.

I read another story that illustrates the mercy of God even more clearly. A man was caught and taken to court because he had stolen a loaf of bread. When the judge investigated, he found out that the man had no job, and his family was hungry. He had tried unsuccessfully to get work and finally, to feed his family, he had stolen a loaf of bread.

Although recognizing the extenuating circumstances, the judge said, “I’m sorry, but the law can make no exceptions. You stole, and therefore I have to punish you. I order you to pay a fine of ten dollars.”

He then continued, “But I want to pay the fine myself.” He reached into his pocket, pulled out a ten-dollar bill, and handed it to the man. As soon as the man took the money, the judge said, “Now I also want to remit the fine.”

That is, the man could keep the money. “Furthermore, I am going to instruct the bailiff to pass around a hat to everyone in this courtroom, and I am fining everyone in this courtroom fifty cents for living in a city where a man has to steal in order to have bread to eat.” The money was collected and given to the defendant.

This is an excellent example to illustrate God’s mercy because it also shows how His justice is fully served. The penalty was paid in full, yet mercy and grace were also demonstrated in full measure.

Besides filling my heart with gratitude toward my merciful God, how is this practical for me? The Apostle James asked this convicting question: “If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, ‘Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,’ but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit?” (James 2:15-16)

While some are more gifted in showing mercy than others (I’m more in the category of ‘others’), the implication is obvious. I am to be merciful to those who are miserable. Words are not enough, nor are the feelings of concern and compassion. If God puts a cold or hungry person in my path, then I’m to wrap them in a blanket and give them something to eat.

No comments: