November 18, 2008

Guidance

November 19, 2008 (18th at home)

Yesterday we discovered that the Ilsan Quilters Club was holding an exhibit. From the Korean sign, we had an Internet address, phone number, date, time, and theme of this show, but not the location. The man at the desk in our hotel went online and told us the location in English, the 2nd lower level in a nearby department store. We took a taxi and found the store and the B2 level, but no exhibit. We searched all nine floors of this large store, then three parking levels plus B1 and again in B2. No exhibit.

We found a young woman who knew enough English to say B2, so we went again. This time I noticed that the voice in the elevator made B1 sound like B2. Still we could not find it, so went back to the young woman. She wrote Lotte Galleria on my paper and down again we went to B2. There we asked for the galleria and were sent to B1. After asking another person, we were guided to a remote space in the corner of the floor where we found what we were looking for. I’m happy to report that it was well worth the effort.

This morning I’m reading again in Psalm 107. Verse 7 says, “And He led them forth by the right way. . .” After our experience yesterday, I’m smiling at the thought of how God leads His people. I remember asking Him a couple times to help us find this exhibit. While He could have been more direct, He had reasons (not sure what they were) for the long route to our destination.

The guidance of God can vary. At times, He makes perfectly clear what He wants from me or where He wants me to go. Other times, I’m puzzled and seek His directions for hours or even days and months. Nevertheless, if I want His guidance He will give it to me when I need it.

Proverbs 3:5-6 says, “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on our own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.” Another verse (that I can’t find at the moment) says that I will hear the Holy Spirit say, “This is the way; walk in it” as He directs my life.

This isn’t about Him telling me what to wear each day, or what to eat (although He could do both if it was vital to His plan for me) or which turn to take to find a parking spot. Usually His guidance is more about eternal matters.

For instance, our Christian neighbor was deeply impressed that she should go see a friend who lived with her daughter. Neither woman have a sense of smell. Our neighbor was tired after a long day at work and wanted to go to bed. She thought the next day would be soon enough. However, the still, small voice persisted so she reluctantly drove to her friend’s house and rang the doorbell. When her friend opened the door, she could smell it; the house was full of gas. That night, listening to the guidance of the Holy Spirit’s soft voice saved two lives.

His leading is not always so dramatic, but often deeply important. More than once my husband has been led to visit someone in the hospital “now” and that night led those he visited to faith in Jesus Christ. One of them died the next morning.

I’ve sensed the leading of God in making purchases, particularly books that He knew would profoundly affect my life. Sometimes He strongly urges me to not buy anything, just get out of the store and go home. More often than not, His leading is about when to speak and when to shut up.

Years ago I ate lunch at the same table with author Elizabeth Elliot. Someone mentioned her busy schedule and asked for advice in managing time. She said, “You just do the next thing.” She paused, and then added, “And you always know what the next thing is.”

God is like that. I put one foot ahead of the other, trusting Him to guide me. If that next step is okay, I keep going. If not, I believe He will steer me in the right direction by giving me a sense of the steps I should take.

I don’t know why it took so long to find that exhibit yesterday, but we were not flustered because hubby and I both know that God has His reasons. Maybe we simply needed the exercise, but since Proverbs 3:7 says, "Do not be wise in your own eyes. . ." I’m not spending time or energy trying to figure it out!

No comments: