November 29, 2008

The delights of spiritual intimacy

One Old Testament book is a bit of a puzzle. Some even wonder why the Song of Solomon been included in God’s Word, but it has always been recognized by the Jews as part of their sacred writings. This book is like peeking into the lives of newlyweds, and certainly offers a contrast to two extreme attitudes toward affection and sexual intimacy. One is ascetic abstinence; the other is lustful perversion outside of marriage. Instead, Song of Solomon is about pure love and human romance.

I’ve heard many interpretations. Some use an “allegorical” method and claim that this song has no actual historical basis, but rather that it depicts God’s love for Israel and/or Christ’s love for the church. From that, hymns have been written calling Christ the Rose of Sharon and the Lily of the Valley (2:1).

Another interpretive method uses “typological” and says there is an historical reality, yet says this book is a type of another reality. It ultimately points to and pictures Christ’s love as the Bridegroom for the church who is His bride.

I think that I am in favor of interpreting it face value and in the historical sense, yet like other things, allowing that the Holy Spirit uses it to remind me of other truths. For instance, when I look at the glory of a flower, I know it is just a flower, yet it makes me think of the glory of its Creator. I know that this book is about ideal human courtship and marriage, but isn’t that love like the love relationship I have with Jesus? The writer didn’t intend it to point to Jesus, but the Holy Spirit can and does use it that way.

Song of Solomon 2:14 says, “O my dove, in the clefts of the rock, in the secret places of the cliff, let me see your face, let me hear your voice; for your voice is sweet, and your face is lovely.

When I read that verse, I have two thoughts. The first is that God offers spiritual “music” for marital harmony. If I think like this verse, and my spouse also, we will experience the romance and loveliness of marriage. This is a literal interpretation that considers Solomon’s words an historical reality. It is poetic and romantic, and also instructive. Nice.

But also I think of the Holy Spirit lighting on Jesus like a dove, and how the dove is a symbol used for both the Holy Spirit and the peace that God gives. The cleft of the rock reminds me of Moses being hidden in the cleft of the rock and allowed to see something of the Lord. In that experience, he must have felt great awe, but also the wonder of God’s loveliness.

This verse also reminds me of the sweetness of God’s voice, the wonder of knowing Him and the anticipation I have of seeing Him face to face.

Sometimes Bible interpretation becomes an exercise in pragmatism, or as Beth Moore says, too much “head” and not enough heart. The heart of God is expressed in Song of Solomon. Studying the Word of God is learning about sin, righteousness, His wisdom, and practical application for everyday life, but it is also about enjoying His beauty, and about experiencing the lavishness of His love for me.

The Song of Solomon may be only an historical account of Solomon’s love and first marriage, but it also reminds me of my love relationship with Jesus Christ. I have no doubt that thinking this way, correct exegesis or not, pleases Him too.

No comments: