October 4, 2008

Wall Street needs a Shepherd

Not being a financial expert, I’ve limited understanding to the financial crisis in America, never mind a strong opinion on what solutions would fix the problems. The only thing that seems clear to me is that people with money lent it to people who didn’t have it, nor the means to repay it. That is exploitation perhaps, but certain not sound business on either side of the deal.

My parents taught me not to spend more than I have. They also taught me that giving away money is okay, and lending it is okay, but these are two different things. They also taught me to think before I buy and ask myself if I can really afford what I want.

While this is simplistic, it looks as if the mortgage lenders in the USA hadn’t considered the future of those they were lending to, and the people who took out mortgages didn’t look too far ahead either. Now they are reaping the results of their folly.

When I read my devotional book this morning, I started to wonder what God would say about all this. The verses are from Ezekiel 34, a passage where God is talking to self-indulgent leaders who took advantage of His people whom He called His sheep. He said He would deliver them from these irresponsible shepherds, and in 15-16, He says, “I will feed My flock, and I will make them lie down,” says the Lord God. “I will seek what was lost and bring back what was driven away, bind up the broken and strengthen what was sick; but I will destroy the fat and the strong, and feed them in judgment.”

The principle here is that the unjust are punished and their victims are taken care of by the Lord, their true Shepherd. However, in applying this passage, it is incorrect to assume that all poor people taken advantage of by irresponsible leaders are the sheep of God. It is also incorrect to assume that God will judge only the ‘fat and strong’ since anyone can be guilty of sin and disobedience, rich and poor, therefore in danger of God’s wrath.

Yet there is a principle here. God hates injustice. The Bible continually tells readers to take care of the poor, not exploit or harm them. While He will judge everyone for sin, unbelief and disobedience, there are particular warnings to those entrusted with leadership. No one can take advantage of a position of authority for selfish ends and get away with it. Eventually God will call them to an account of what they have done, even if no one here does it.

How is this practical for me? I’ve not been a victim of money lenders, nor am I one of those who lends money. I’ve no authority or influence in how Wall Street does its thing. Yet I do have a voice—I can pray. God promises that all those who are His sheep, rich or poor, can approach Him with our requests. He also promises that He will both hear and answer.

I will not pray for the poor to be wealthy though, nor will I pray that the rich teetering on the edge of financial disaster be rescued. My prayer is that through all of this, all these people will realize the folly of making money their security in this world, and turn instead toward the One who is able care for them. I will pray that He will bind up those with broken hearts, strengthen the weak, destroy their sins of greed and exploitation, and make Himself their true and reliable Shepherd.

2 comments:

Musings of A Minister said...

Great post! I came over from Victoria Gaines' blog. You have an excellent blog. It's interesting and encouraging. You are an excellent writer. I want to encourage you to write something for the Spiritual Sunday's blog my wife does. Many others will benefit from what you write.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Clif, Thank you for your encouragement! You don't have an email address in your profile, but I am curious how you got from Victoria's blog to mine? I've never been there so popped over and didn't see any links to my blog.

blessings to you!