October 13, 2008

Thirteen Things

Today is Thanksgiving Day in Canada. We had our family dinner on Saturday because that worked better for some, but I woke up this morning thinking again about the importance of being thankful.

Thankfulness acknowledges that God is good, that He is the source of all goodness, and that He is generous toward me. It also helps me realize what life would be like apart from His grace and loving provision.

Romans 1:21-22 vividly describe what happens to people who reject the obvious concerning creation; it implies a Creator. These verses say, “. . . although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools. . . .

I know God, not just that He is by seeing Him as Creator, but that He is my God and I have a personal relationship with Him through His Son. But I’m not much different from the pagans in some ways, because even though I know Him and love Him, I don’t always show it. If I am disobedient, resist and deny His sovereign care in my life, thankfulness is the first thing to go. When I am not thankful, I have also forgotten that I deserve His wrath, not His mercy. How foolish. Over and over He has been merciful to me and deserves my praise as well as my thankfulness.

Today’s devotional reading is from 2 Timothy 1. The focus is on verse 9, but Paul writes long sentences and verse 9 is a phrase from a longer thought. I can think of much to be thankful for just from this passage. It says:
. . . . Share with me in the sufferings for the gospel according to the power of God, who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began, but has now been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ. . . .
1. I thank God for others who share with me in the challenges of being a Christian. The fellowship in God’s family is a huge strength and support as we pray for and care for one another.

2. I’m thankful for the “suffering for the gospel” that Paul invites me to share with Him. Jesus said that those who hate Him would hate His followers also. The ridicule Christians get for being children of God are part of our certainty that others realize we are walking with Him. We don’t invite it, but we can be thankful that they notice we love Him.

3. I’m also thankful that anything I suffer is according to the power of God. No matter what happens to me, it must go through His filter. If He has a purpose for even the most negative stuff, He will let it happen and even use it for my good. I’ve great assurance that His wisdom is trustworthy.

4. I’m thankful that I am saved, saved from the penalty of sin, being saved from the power of sin, and one day saved from its presence. This is huge and so is my gratitude.

5. I’m thankful that God called me, that I was not drawn in by a church or a creed or even the faith of my parents. This is a personal call. He said to me, “Come, Elsie” and I came.

6. I’m also thankful that my salvation and relationship with God does not depend on what I do. If it did, neither would happen. I flub up all the time and could not possibly earn or deserve His magnificent grace. None of His goodness depends on my performance and I’m grateful, big time.

7. I’m thankful that my life is now part of His purpose. Even though I cannot always figure out what He is doing, there is a Master Plan and I am part of it. That is exciting, especially when He gives me little glimpses of why He asked me to be part of His family.

8. I’m thankful that my calling and His grace toward me was planned in Christ long before I was born, before the world was created, even before time. Wow, this is a huge thought; I was in the mind of God before He did anything else. Thank You!

9. I’m also thankful that He revealed Jesus to me. One day I woke up blind to who Jesus is, and went to bed that night knowing without a doubt that He is God in the flesh. The only way that happens is by the powerful eye-opening work of the Holy Spirit. For that I am most thankful.

10. Jesus was revealed to the world too, not just me. I’m part of a much bigger thing, one person in a host of many who know and love Jesus, and who are thankful for Him just as I am.

11. I’m thankful for personal things too, things not in this verse but in my life, like good health. Despite a few little things annoying me right now, my doctor jokes that I’m a “boring” patient.

12. I’m thankful for answered prayer and could write a book about how God has blessed me in that department.

13. I’m also thankful for joy. Being happy is a rare commodity in a greedy, unsatisfied and unthankful culture that looks for happiness in all the wrong places. God has taught me that my sense of well-being is not in things, prestige or achievement. It is in Him, and because I have Him, I have all that I need.

Thank You, Jesus.

No comments: