October 1, 2008

Staying Balanced

Being a Christian is sometimes like standing on a teeter-totter. If I move too far one way, I drop, but going too far the other way has the same result.

Many of Jesus’ teachings seem to be in opposition. How can a person be saved by grace not works, yet be told to do good works? How can I be told my salvation is secure, yet I must press on and work out my salvation?

Some of the answers are in understanding the terminology, but this morning I came to my Bible weary. I had more than eight hours sleep last night but my to-do list overwhelms me. I put my head down on my desk and then remembered Jesus’ words, “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. . . . For My yoke is easy and My burden is light” (Matthew 11:28, 30).

I started to think that maybe all the stuff on my list is not His idea, that maybe I’ve taken on more than I am supposed to, and that this easy burden began to sound like a great alternative. I moved toward that end of the teeter-totter.

Then I read today’s devotional verses from Hebrews 12:1-2. “Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Oops! Watch out for the sin that so easily ensnares me! I can think of several: procrastination, laziness, discouragement, selfishness that urges me to do what I feel like doing instead of what God asks of me.

Balance. Stand between these two extremes. I’m to work hard remembering that Jesus was no shirker, but I’m also to be doing His work, not whatever I please.

Another verse comes to mind. Galatians 6:9 says, “And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.” What God asks of me might make me tired, but He promises eternal results.

Hebrews 12:3-4 also offers this mild rebuke against my complaining, “For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls. You have not yet resisted to bloodshed, striving against sin.” It is not as if God is asking me to die on a cross. I just have lots to do.

In quoting from Matthew 11, I left out verse 29 so went back to read it. It says, “Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Jesus never promised rest for my body. The disciples worked hard and suffered physically. Some died as martyrs. Paul worked hard, toiling day and night for the Gospel. I’m thinking I am too wimpy.

But He did promise rest to my soul. My mind does not need to be in a flap and anxious about that list. My emotions can be level, even joyful (and it’s okay if emotions teeter) because God has given me a meaningful and abundant life. My will can be firmly fixed, considering Him and thankful for all He does for me. Balancing on the teeter-totter means getting off my duff to do what He has asked me, accepting His peace and joy, and not grumbling about my chores.

No comments: